Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: BT Yahoo Search

Go to solution

I'm genuinely interested in why you want to stay using webmail. From my point of view it has no advantages whatsoever except for occasional use on somebody else's device or from necessity if using a work computer for personal mail.

0 Ratings
cc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

My reasons for finding webmail useful are:
1.    As noted, when travelling or using someone else's computer
2.    I can intercept spam before I download it
3.    I can use filters to filter out unwanted mail before downloading it
4.    I have managed to be blacklisted by at least one isp - I don't know why, but when I send emails from Outlook 2013, they bounce back. BUT, when I send to the same isp from the webmail, they get through. Someone with more technical knowledge can tell me why.

I said the problem had been solved, but now I find in the last few days, it has recurred, and I cannot search any web-based BT Yahoo mail. Maybe BT did not fix it, and it just corrected itself, temporarily, and the fault has re-appeared.

I phoned the helpdesk on 08081006778 before to try to fix it. Maybe I'll try again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

@cc1 wrote:

My reasons for finding webmail useful are:
1.    As noted, when travelling or using someone else's computer

2.    I can intercept spam before I download it

Can use filters on your mail client
3.    I can use filters to filter out unwanted mail before downloading it

Can use filters on your mail client
4.    I have managed to be blacklisted by at least one isp - I don't know why, but when I send emails from Outlook 2013, they bounce back. BUT, when I send to the same isp from the webmail, they get through. Someone with more technical knowledge can tell me why.

The sending server will be different, but should only be a temporary problem

I said the problem had been solved, but now I find in the last few days, it has recurred, and I cannot search any web-based BT Yahoo mail. Maybe BT did not fix it, and it just corrected itself, temporarily, and the fault has re-appeared.

The mail system does seem very flakey at the moment.

I phoned the helpdesk on 08081006778 before to try to fix it. Maybe I'll try again.

0 Ratings
cc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

Well, well .............   the search function has started to work again as mysteriously as it stopped a while ago. No request from me, I guess it just fixed itself.......   Maybe that's the solution - just wait and see what happens Smiley Sad

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

I now have the same problem in that search is not picking all the emails which I know exist. Also emails which I have deleted  are sometimes appearing in a search result.  Even using  Mozilla Thunderbird I still can't locate certain emails when using the search function.

Anyone else currently in the same boat?

0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Yes, I am experiencing this from a Android phone using IMAP.

If I search it only searches the recent emails synced with the phone. If I ask to search the server nothing is found whatever I search for.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

If you are using IMAP all your emails on your phone should be synced with the server, that is the whole purpose of IMAP. Do you mean it only searches the last x number of days?

0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution
With IMAP on Android only the last x weeks (set in options) are synced otherwise you could end up with huge volumes of email on the phone and initially a lot of data traffic.

When I search it only returns those on the phone. Asking it to continue the search on the server returns no more, whatever I search for.

This work perfectly until a few days ago.
0 Ratings
cc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

You could try phoning the BT helpdesk on 08081006778 . I had the same search problem a while ago, I contacted the helpdesk, and it was fixed in a few days - BUT the problem returned soon after that, but just seemed to fix itself a few weeks later. I am not sure if the helpdesk really did help.
There does not seem to be a solution that can be applied from the user's end.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

@STX1300man wrote:
With IMAP on Android only the last x weeks (set in options) are synced otherwise you could end up with huge volumes of email on the phone and initially a lot of data traffic.

IMAP normally does not store your email on your device it keeps them all on the server unless you have chosen to download them onto your phone. IMAP replicates what is on the server allowing you to synchronise your email on various devices. That is the main difference with POP3 accounts.

Sometimes when there is a problem with the email system it clears when it is accessed via a web browser

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

0 Ratings