Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

BT Yahoo! Suddenly hijacking my Yahoo! email

Go to solution

Hey guys, I registered my Yahoo! email account about 10-12 years ago. As far as I am concerned I have never been a customer of BT, especially BT Yahoo!.

About a week ago, upon loging in, I was redirected to a random BT account page. Both the Yahoo! and BT web pages are secured over SSL. This is VERY unlikely to be a hack or phishing style attack.

Here is a link to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5EPxVelpU&app=desktop

I've phoned BT and even contacted them via email and Twitter. They confirm I'm not a customer and all BT Yahoo! Mail users will have @btinternet style addresses. They claim it's not their fault but rather a Yahoo! issue. Obviously Yahoo! don't have any type of customer support so this is all very frustrating. 

As you can imagine, over a decade I have amassed some very important family email that I would really like to get access to.

Any help you guys can give me would be amazing! 

Thanks,

Wes

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
BT Email Expert
BT Email Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Yahoo! Suddenly hijacking my Yahoo! email

Go to solution

obweznew,

This is Yahoo redirecting to BT, they do this for @btinternet.com customers, so you are right to think that this isn't a hack, I would speculate that your email address has some sort of data problem in the back-end resulting in this behaviour. So you will need to raise this directly with yahoo. It is a long shot - but it could be a cookie based redirect, so clearing cookies or trying on a different device/browser to see if you can replicate it might help pin down the problem. 

Simon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Tried on multiple browsers without luck. Sadly Yahoo! does not have a a customer service email or telephone. But they do have customer to customer help forums.

I've posted a similar message and so far no luck. Since I've gone as far as I can, could you do some digging your end to see if you have a direct line to Yahoo!. Specifically the Yahoo! team that is responsible for the redirect in question?

Thanks.

Possibly related: This started around the same time I was given access to free BT Sport via EE as part of my new contract. It seems that everything was working smoothly until I signed up via the BT link EE sent me. I downloaded the BT Sport app and everything worked fine. I did NOT use the yahoo email address. Could this be related?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
BT Email Expert
BT Email Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

I have raised via an unofficial Yahoo channel who say they have fixed it.

Hopefully you are now up and running.

Simon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

Perhaps you could use your unofficial channel to get Yahoo to fix the other myriad of problems they have!!! Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
Thank you Simon. You are a complete hero! All up and running. Let's hope they don't screw up again.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Urgent Held required. My yahoo email acocunt automatically going to BT Yahoo email and not allowing me to see my personal yahoo email, which I have been using for last 13 years. I have tried various interbet explorer and still its same. I have seen you have solved similar problems of others on this forum. Can you please help me out....

It is almost like this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g5EPxVelpU&app=desktop

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

@Simon-D wrote:

I have raised via an unofficial Yahoo channel who say they have fixed it.

Hopefully you are now up and running.

Simon.

@Simon-D

So what was the problem?

Other people are reporting having this issue.

It's simply not good enough to say it's fixed, end users need to know what was causing it and how BT apparently took over NON BTinternet email addresses.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Simon, 

I have beeen with yahoo as well for over 15 years and have had this happen to me today (being redirected to bt) how can i fix this problem??

Regards

Jason

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@Jason47wrote:

Hi Simon, 

I have beeen with yahoo as well for over 15 years and have had this happen to me today (being redirected to bt) how can i fix this problem??

Regards

Jason

Hi, welcome to the forums.

Simon isn't going to answer, he never gives any details.

Hopefully a moderator will pop by and request you contact them.

As a matter of interest, do you use the Yahoo app?

0 Ratings