Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Contributor
Accepted Solution

BT Yahoo e-mail problems on an android

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

I hope you can help, I recently got a "HTC One X+" android smart phone (android OS is 4.1.1) but have had huge problems receiving all my BT yahoo e-mails on the device. I primarily use 2 e-mail addresses, G-mail and BT yahoo, the G-mail works perfectly and I receive all the e-mails, the BT yahoo e-mail account however never delivers about 50% of the e-mails to the HTC phone. It is worth noting that the BT yahoo e-mail works perfectly on my PC using outlook and on my old iPhone 4, at the end of the day if I check the BT yahoo e-mails I received on outlook (or the iPhone) and compare it to the android phone I can clearly see e-mails that the android phone never received. At first I thought it was perhaps an App, so I tested some of other e-mail android apps on the phone but they all have the exact same problem. The phone settings I have tried are:

Incoming settings: 

Protocol: POP

POP server: pop3.btinternet.com

Security type: None

Server port: 110

Outgoing server settings:

Login required: Check

SMTP server: mail.btinternet.com

Security type: None

Server port: 587

Incoming Settings

Protocol: IMAP

IMAP server: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com

Security type:  SSL

Port 993

Outgoing settings

SMTP server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Security type:  SSL

Port 465

Both give me the exact same problem where its hit or miss if a BT yahoo e-mail will ever be received by the HTC phone, has anyone had a similar problem or can see something wrong with the settings I am using? :smileysad:

Distinguished Sage

Re: BT Yahoo e-mail problems on an android

[ Edited ]

The settings you need are on this page

Using e-mail on your mobile phone

You just need to drop the android bit that you added.

Also, if you are using POP3 on Outlook, make sure that you tell it to leave the messages on the server, otherwise you will not see them on your phone.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the reply I had tried without "android." (at the beginning) previously, I only added that after googling the problem where I found a forum post suggesting it, I have now set the phone back to use your recommended settings. I do use POP3 for the outlook e-mail connection setting and your comment's a good one, not something I had thought to check before you mentioned it. I have now changed the outlook account setting so that it retains all mails on the yahoo mail server for a set period of time before deleting them, on the off chance the problem was due to outlook grabbing the mail first and perhaps removing it from the server before the HTC phone had a chance to sync to receive it.

I'll monitor it for the next couple of days and will update this thread once I have had a chance to see if it makes any difference, thanks again.

Distinguished Sage

[ Edited ]

Try using the BT Yahoo App from the Google playstore. It's free and is easy to set up. I have used it for a few months now without problems. Having said that there is a slight glitch since the last update where it doesn't always push the email but this is a known fault that will hopefully be fixed shortly. It is not a pop3 email client, it works directly with your BT account.

You could also try the following settings. (you may need to change the server name to mail.yahoo.com rather than btinternet.com)

Also noticed that you have put POP server: pop3.btinternet.com. remove the pop3 part and make it mail.btinternet.com

INCOMING

Username: Your email address

Password: your normal email password

POP3 Server: mail.btinternet.com

security: None

Port: 110

OUTGOING

SMTP server: mail.btinternet.com

security type: none

Port: 25

Require sign in: tick box

User name: Your email address

Password: your normal email password

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

It looks like the problem was caused by outlook using a POP connection, I tested setting outlook to us an IMAP connection instead and that sorted the problem for me. I am not sure why this wasn't a problem on my old iPhone or for my g-mail (also retrieved via outlook using POP) but it seems it was an issue for BT Yahoo mail on my android. Thanks to Keith for pointing me in the right direction.

Contributor

Having searched the Google Play store I cannot find a "BT Yahoo" app, there is a however a Yahoo Mail app, but there are reports of issues with it since a recent update.

Aspiring Contributor

John55810uk wrote:

Having searched the Google Play store I cannot find a "BT Yahoo" app, there is a however a Yahoo Mail app, but there are reports of issues with it since a recent update.

Hi John,

I wanted to have all my e-mail addresses in one app (rather than having multiple apps), the one I settled on after trying a couple of different apps, and would recommend if you are also an android user is Aqua Mail. My problem was for some reason when outlook retrieved the BT yahoo e-mails, it removed them from the yahoo mail server as well, so when my android synced later on there was nothing to retrieve anymore.

In my case I resolved the issue by setting the BT yahoo mail account on the android to use IMAP, and also setting outlook to use an IMAP connection (rather than POP3). If you let outlook automatically setup the connection for you it defaults to using POP3.

I was desperate to get my mail working on the android, IMAP did not work, your solution using POP instead worked straight away.  Thank you