Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4TinRoofCeilidh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

BT Yahoo mail moved to BT mail - cannot access

Go to solution

Hi, Suddenly been shifted to BT mail (from BT Yahoo). Original PW now doesn't work nor do my answers to security questions when trying to reset PW. Exactly same thing happened to my wife a couple of weeks ago. (She eventually got a new password after ages on phone to India - but remains unable to change it to something she chooses because of the security question issue).

Puzzled about the security question issue as we have tried everything we can think of in answering. Our recollection (and it's ages ago) was that we set these questions to a "primary email" (which we have never used and has consquently disappeared). Should our secondary emails that we do use still have access to the same security questions?

Is it possible to reset these security questions so that we do not have to rely on a call centre agent making any changes for us?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Yahoo mail moved to BT mail - cannot access

Go to solution

@4TinRoofCeilidhwrote:

Hi, Suddenly been shifted to BT mail (from BT Yahoo). Original PW now doesn't work nor do my answers to security questions when trying to reset PW. Exactly same thing happened to my wife a couple of weeks ago. (She eventually got a new password after ages on phone to India - but remains unable to change it to something she chooses because of the security question issue).

Puzzled about the security question issue as we have tried everything we can think of in answering. Our recollection (and it's ages ago) was that we set these questions to a "primary email" (which we have never used and has consquently disappeared). Should our secondary emails that we do use still have access to the same security questions?

Is it possible to reset these security questions so that we do not have to rely on a call centre agent making any changes for us?

Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to the forums.

How do you know you've been moved to BTMail?

Try logging in via :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

Why are you trying to change password? There is no need - if you can't login there are a few reasons for this, mainly a server issue.

The help centre should never EVER be requested to alter any security answers or passwords. If this is done, then these details should be altered immediately. Unfortunately the system is currently in a complete mess, and BT seem to be in denial about it.

Each email address has it's own security details, and don't share the "primary" address - which is now effectively null and void as it doesn't have the "power" it once did.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
You have not been moved from BTYahoo to BTMail so who ever told you that is wrong. The migration from BTYahoo to BTMail stopped years ago and there are no plans to restart it or move any one from BTYahoo to BTMail.

If you are changing a password on a sub account it is the Primary account security details that need to be used.
0 Ratings
4TinRoofCeilidh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for reply. Nobody told me - my homepage (which used to be BT yahoo mail) is now obviously BT (purple banner etc.). My browser is firefox which seems determined to take me to BT even when I enter the yahoo URL. This is exactly what happened to my wife a few weeks back. What is interesting is that in Chrome, I find I can successfully get to Yahoo. However, when I copy the URL into Firefox, still the get the purple banner.

Thanks also for info on security questions. My wife set this up years ago so I can blame her! Nevertheless, it would be nice to reset these to allow subsequent changes to be made. Any idea if this is possible?

Many thanks for your input.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Log onto your email account via a web browser. Look at the BT logo. If it says Yahoo any where it means you are on BTYahoo.
It may be that your home page has changed but that does not mean your email has.
0 Ratings
4TinRoofCeilidh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Hi and thanks for reply.

I now see that this only happens with my usual browser (Firefox) - my homepage has become the purple banner of BT and I cannot login to my mailer - it demands a pw and  probably because, having set a pw literally decades ago and never having had a previous problem, I am mis-remembering it! I have tried re-setting the homepage to yahoo but Firefox seems determined to take me to BT!?! On Chrome and my android (which mercifully remember my password (whatever that is) I have no problem. I remain puzzled....... Perhaps I should just change my browser.

On the issue of security, I agree that, in principle, a phone call to a call centre should not permit such changes. However, when the same thing happened to my wife a few weeks back she did call the Asian subcontinent in order to get a new password. The first she was given (a random sequence) didn't work and then, on the second call she was given one that is suspiciously memorable to a UK resident (and possibly a standard answer for "troublesome" customers who might have difficulty understanding the local accent). I recommended that she change it to something known only to her but then we hit the security question problem all over again.........

I cannot believe we are the only people ever to hit this problem and that with a suitabley secure process (old-fashioned letter with details returned to address on BT bill?) this cannot be remedied. Any further advice / suggestions will be received most gratefully.

0 Ratings
4TinRoofCeilidh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks. No it seems my homepage has changed and that Firefox is determined to take me to BT! I have tried changing it back to yahoo but still get taken to BT (I have tried other home pages - to check I am not being truly stupid - and they work).

Mercifully, I have discovered that with Chrome I have no problem so the easy solution is to change browser but I remain puzzled as to what is happening with Firefox.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

If you are using Chrome you can see what your password is.

Go to the settings by clicking on the three dots at the top right.

You then scroll down to the foot of the page that opens and you will see "Advanced". Click on it and scroll down to Password and Forms. You will see Manage Passwords. Click on it then scroll down until you find "signin1bt.com" or something similar and click on the button that looks like an eye. This will reveal your saved password.

0 Ratings
4TinRoofCeilidh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
HI -(sorry for delay in replying). When I click on the 3 dots ("customise and control Google Chrome") I cannot see an "Advanced" item to click on (at any Menu level). What am I missing?
Thanks
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Perhaps I did not make it clear what I was meaning when I said 

Go to the settings by clicking on the three dots at the top right.

To clarify, once you click on the three dots scroll down to "settings"  and click on it. You then scroll down to the foot of the page that opens and you will see "Advanced". Click on it and scroll down to Password and Forms. You will see Manage Passwords. Click on it then scroll down until you find "signin1bt.com" or something similar and click on the button that looks like an eye. This will reveal your saved password.