cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BenCooper
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

BT Yahoo mail not working with MS Outlook

I've had my BT Internet email since the early 90's, and have been using it on various windows pc's and now Mac's with MS Outlook for over 25 years.

Recently I have been having more and more problems with my email client not connecting to the BT Servers, and or dropping out for extended periods of time.

On Monday it was down all day, and I tried repeatedly to re-configure the settings etc. with no success.  Yesterday, it worked fine, and now, today, its down again.  

I haven't changed anything on the settings (POP3), apart from the password (which I know is working as it worked yesterday), and I can get email on the webclient and on my iPhone / iPad today too.  I get unhelpful messages like - '[SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later. Error Code 17900'.

I phoned BT on Monday and had a very unhelpful conversation with someone who said that BT Yahoo doesnt work with Outlook!!!!!  My response was anger, and incredulity, given that I know its worked for years.  Their service is complete rubbish, and they don't know what they are talking about.

Clearly something is wrong at their end - but they don't seem to care or acknowledge it.  Maybe time for a MASS boycott?

How many others are having the same problems?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT Yahoo mail not working with MS Outlook

@BenCooperwrote:

I've had my BT Internet email since the early 90's, and have been using it on various windows pc's and now Mac's with MS Outlook for over 25 years.

Recently I have been having more and more problems with my email client not connecting to the BT Servers, and or dropping out for extended periods of time.

On Monday it was down all day, and I tried repeatedly to re-configure the settings etc. with no success.  Yesterday, it worked fine, and now, today, its down again.  

I haven't changed anything on the settings (POP3), apart from the password (which I know is working as it worked yesterday), and I can get email on the webclient and on my iPhone / iPad today too.  I get unhelpful messages like - '[SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later. Error Code 17900'.

I phoned BT on Monday and had a very unhelpful conversation with someone who said that BT Yahoo doesnt work with Outlook!!!!!  My response was anger, and incredulity, given that I know its worked for years.  Their service is complete rubbish, and they don't know what they are talking about.

Clearly something is wrong at their end - but they don't seem to care or acknowledge it.  Maybe time for a MASS boycott?

How many others are having the same problems?

Hi.

A quick check of this forum will show many many similar posts, and this issue has been ongoing for many many years. The general advice is to do nothing, no settings or password changes as this has been seen to cause more issues.

It's neither the password or settings, it can't be as it was clearly working before.

Unfortunately many people change things before coming to the forums, or contact the (useless) helpdesk. They repeatedly say they don't support email clients, which most people assume that mail clients will not work. What they mean is that they can't help with mail clients (there are too many). If they say mail clients don't work with the emails, then clearly they are totally wrong.

BT don't do anything to stop this appalling help, they will not investigate the mail system, and they don't care about it. Many of us have been asking for years for BT to do something, but they will not.

Your best bet is to get email from something else, e.g. Gmail. Tell all your contacts, update all website login/contact details etc. This might take a few months, but once done - you will be free from BTinternet email, and therefore also not associated with an ISP for email.

0 Ratings
BenCooper
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT Yahoo mail not working with MS Outlook

This is getting worse and worse; The connection between my MS Outlook (running on an iMac) has been down more than its up for the last week. My recent monthly bill has gone up yet again, yet one of the key things that I am paying for becomes less and less reliable.

Horrendous service

0 Ratings