18-05-2012 14h18 - edited 18-05-2012 15h54
I have worked out a solution to the problem as follows:
1. Using your web browser, navigate your way to your online BT mail inbox and copy the URL link in the address field
2. Using a second tab in the same browser window, click on the "green cog wheel" on the right side of the BT Yahoo toolbar (Toolbar settings appears if you hover the mouse pointer over it)
3. Click "Edit your apps" on the drop-down menu
4. Click on "Create a new app" on left under "Browse categories"
5. Paste the copied URL link into the Website Address (URL) box
6. Allocate new name in appropriate box: BT Yahoo Mailbox
7. Select icon for new button: Envelope
8. Click blue "Save" button
9. Wait a few moments for "new" button to appear in Toolbar
10. Once new button has appeared in toolbar, click on "Change Layout" tab in BT Yahoo Toolbar settings
11. Hover mouse pointer over old "Mail Button" until red button with white "X" appears and click on the "X" to remove the old mail button
12. Click on yellow "I'm Done" button
Job done! No more BT Yahoo homepage when you click on the envelope button. Simples!!!
(Might be worth saving instructions for future reference if updating toolbar)
on 01-06-2012 19h26
My deep and sincere thanks to Deets55 for posting the Mail Toolbar solution. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but with no success, until I accessed the Bt Help window and found your Post. It has worked a treat and, again I thank you.
Long may you be a help and inspiration to users everywhere.
on 05-06-2012 14h56
You're most welcome JockAnders - I am glad that someone has found my solution helpful. I have had no problems since I made the change to my toolbar.
30-08-2012 8h17 - edited 30-08-2012 8h19
As far as I am aware the BT Mail button in BT Yahoo toolbar still doesn't work correctly. It only refreshes the Home Page.
The workaround of creating a custom App solves this problem but obviously the custom button doesn't indicate any new messages as it is only a shortcut to the email web page.
I have accepted that BT will not do anything about the Amazon and eBay buttons in the toolbar (will post thread url in edit) but I will not accept that they have not corrected the BT Mail button.
There is no commercial reason for not fixing this as there is with the advertising buttons forced on them by Yahoo.
Amazon, eBay etc.:
on 21-10-2012 12h04
Just had an update for the Mozilla Firefox version of BT Yahoo toolbar (220.127.116.1121012015120).
I use IE8 as my default browser, so in Firefox, I didn't bother using the custom mail button workaround suggested in this thread.
Tried clicking the default mail button and it STILL only refreshes the Home Page.
This thread was started in March this year and it seems that all comments and requests have been ignored.
on 22-10-2012 11h51
Well, I've gone back to plain old Yahoo toolbar instead of BT Yahoo toolbar for both IE8 and Firefox (different versions).
Still can't get rid of eBay and Amazon but the mail button WORKS and it also indicates unread mail in a red box (something the workaround custom button didn't do). The only difference is it says Yahoo Mail. As Yahoo are handling BT Mail anyway it doesn't matter.
All previously set Bookmarks are accessible as well.