Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aspiring Expert

Re: BT Yahoo Mail Toolbar app

Another week goes by and still no feedback!

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have worked out a solution to the problem as follows:

1. Using your web browser, navigate your way to your online BT mail inbox and copy the URL link in the address field

2. Using a second tab in the same browser window, click on the "green cog wheel" on the right side of the BT Yahoo toolbar (Toolbar settings appears if you hover the mouse pointer over it)

3. Click "Edit your apps" on the drop-down menu

4. Click on "Create a new app" on left under "Browse categories"

5. Paste the copied URL link into the Website Address (URL) box

6. Allocate new name in appropriate box: BT Yahoo Mailbox

7. Select icon for new button: Envelope

8. Click blue "Save" button

9. Wait a few moments for "new" button to appear in Toolbar

10. Once new button has appeared in toolbar, click on "Change Layout" tab in BT Yahoo Toolbar settings

11. Hover mouse pointer over old "Mail Button" until red button with white "X" appears and click on the "X" to remove the old mail button

12. Click on yellow "I'm Done" button

Job done!  No more BT Yahoo homepage when you click on the envelope button.  Simples!!!

(Might be worth saving instructions for future reference if updating toolbar)

Aspiring Expert

I found it simpler to uninstall BT Yahoo! toolbar and install plain old Yahoo! toolbar, no problems with the mail button on that.

My deep and sincere thanks to Deets55 for posting the Mail Toolbar solution. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app but with no success, until I accessed the Bt Help window and found your Post. It has worked a treat and, again I thank you.

Long may you be a help and inspiration to users everywhere.

JockAnders

Contributor

You're most welcome JockAnders - I am glad that someone has found my solution helpful.  I have had no problems since I made the change to my toolbar.

Aspiring Expert

[ Edited ]

As far as I am aware the BT Mail button in BT Yahoo toolbar still doesn't work correctly. It only refreshes the Home Page.

The workaround of creating a custom App solves this problem but obviously the custom button doesn't indicate any new messages as it is only a shortcut to the email web page.

I have accepted that BT will not do anything about the Amazon and eBay buttons in the toolbar (will post thread url in edit) but I will not accept that they have not corrected the BT Mail button.

There is no commercial reason for not fixing this as there is with the advertising buttons forced on them by Yahoo. 

Amazon, eBay etc.:

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Amazon-in-BT-Yahoo-Toolbar-Apps/m-p/381339#M13816

Aspiring Expert

Just had an update for the Mozilla Firefox version of BT Yahoo toolbar (2.5.1.20121012015120).

I use IE8 as my default browser, so in Firefox, I didn't bother using the custom mail button workaround suggested in this thread.

Tried clicking the default mail button and it STILL only refreshes the Home Page.

This thread was started in March this year and it seems that all comments and requests have been ignored.

Disgusting!

Aspiring Expert

Well, I've gone back to plain old Yahoo toolbar instead of BT Yahoo toolbar for both IE8 and Firefox (different versions).

Still can't get rid of eBay and Amazon but the mail button WORKS and it also indicates unread mail in a red box (something the workaround custom button didn't do). The only difference is it says Yahoo Mail. As Yahoo are handling BT Mail anyway it doesn't matter.

All previously set Bookmarks are accessible as well.