Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

BT access to non BT email addresses

My wife and I both received an email purporting to be from "BT Yahoo! My Account Services" telling us that our BT internet passwords had been changed about 2am. Sure enough when I logged on this morning my password was not working so i had to go through the security questions and set a new password.

The odd thing was that the initial email at 02:10 was sent to my business account  (a website provided by fasthosts). A second email (at 02:15) was sent from noreply at btinternet.com. This second email was only sent to my btinternet email address. 

Resetting the passsword worked fine and I got a second email from both noreply at btinternet.com and BT Yahoo! My Account Services telling me that the password had been changed again.

Once again the email from BT Yahoo! was (according to Outlook) sent to my business email account with fasthosts as well as my BT internet account . Similarilly my wifes warning came copied to her NHS  email address.  I phoned BT help and was assured that the email was genuinely from them. the lady would not confirm or deny that any changes had been made to my password at 2am for security reasons..

Does anyone have any idea how BT could have got access to these other email addresses?

Guru

Re: BT access to non BT email addresses

Rudolph wrote:

My wife and I both received an email purporting to be from "BT Yahoo! My Account Services" telling us that our BT internet passwords had been changed about 2am. Sure enough when I logged on this morning my password was not working so i had to go through the security questions and set a new password.

The odd thing was that the initial email at 02:10 was sent to my business account  (a website provided by fasthosts). A second email (at 02:15) was sent from noreply at btinternet.com. This second email was only sent to my btinternet email address. 

Resetting the passsword worked fine and I got a second email from both noreply at btinternet.com and BT Yahoo! My Account Services telling me that the password had been changed again.

Once again the email from BT Yahoo! was (according to Outlook) sent to my business email account with fasthosts as well as my BT internet account . Similarilly my wifes warning came copied to her NHS  email address.  I phoned BT help and was assured that the email was genuinely from them. the lady would not confirm or deny that any changes had been made to my password at 2am for security reasons..

Does anyone have any idea how BT could have got access to these other email addresses?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

The thing to check is the email headers (if you need help on this, drop a reply back). Rather than post the info here which may include some personal info, you can always send me the details in a Forum Private Message and I'll look.

The email from "noreply" etc, doesn't seem correct as the real password change does say "BT Yahoo! My ...". However scammers will know this and send emails pretending to be service type emails in the hope that people will click on embedded links to a non BTinternet website, hence passing on details like the password.

It seems strange that you are getting two emails.

Do you by any chance have any forwarding/copying setup from the BTinternet accounts to your other accounts ? The email receipt may not be the exact time the password was altered, but should be within a relatively short period of time.

It is possible that your account may have been hacked somehow (e.g. phish attempt - have you responded to a "security" type email pretending to come from BT?) - which can lead to the password being altered by the miscreant.

Do you store any contact information within the webmail system, for example your business email address ?

Beginner

Re: BT access to non BT email addresses

Thanks Andy

None of the emails included any obvious links or asked me to provide any details. I like to think I'm suspicious enough of that sort of thing. I'm not aware that I've given BT any indication of my fasthosts (business) account. And I have not (as far as i know) set up any forwarding or copying up.

The fasthosts account does have the bt email address as a contact so I was a bit worried that the connection was made there - but that wouldn't explain how my wife got an email to her NHS account. There is no way fasthosts could know about that!

The 'No-reply' email is the one I trust more. It has only replied to my BT account. Other is 

BT Yahoo! My Account Services [my-yahoo-register@cc.yahoo-inc.com]. This sender has copied the email to me at btinternet.com, me at btopenworld.com, info @ my business, and mail at my business.

The frustrating thing is that I couldn't get BT help to discuss what email addresses they had connected with my account. It may be that they do know about these other addresses and so I've nothing (or at least something different!) to worry about.