Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ravenstar68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

BT and DMARC

Go to solution

Hi

Allow me to start by explaining I'm not a BT customer but rather I am a Virgin Media customer.  I am active on Virgin Media's Forums - mainly helping people with email.  The reason I'm here is because I'm trying to help one of their users who is having difficulty receiving mail sent from btinternet.com

The person in question has his own domain, but he does not host his emails on their own server.

Rather - he has email forwarding set up where the mail arrives at servers owned by the registrar and is then forwarded immediately to his Virgin Media email address.

He's reported that he receives an error message when friends reply to his emails:

<<< 554 5.2.0 MXIN603 DMARC validation failed. ;id=nsHTfIBFu1e0hnsHTfxWJK;sid=nsHTfIBFu1e0h;mta=mx2.mnd;d=20180809;t=231539[CET];ipsrc=91.136.10.45;

Now while the error comes from Virgin Media's email systems, they come in an apparent response to BT's DMARC policy.

Now I know that BT are instituting a p=reject policy.  However I have to ask is do you use DKIM to authenticate your outgoing mail?

If not then these errors will be common.

DMARC and SPF alone is a bad combination to use a p=reject policy, precisely because of setups where people forward their mail to a third party server.  This causes SPF validation to fail.  DKIM on the other hand survives this kind of forwarding (in most cases)

While there used to be a workaround for the problem with SPF and this was even proposed as an IETF standard (which never got past the draft stage) - the DMARC mechanisms mean that even where forwarders have implemented the solution SPF validation will still fail as DMARC requires that the Sender and Authors address be aligned.

Now I hope I'm wrong in my assumption, but is anyone able to confirm whether or not BT sign their outgoing btinternet.com mails using DKIM?

More clarification on this issue can be found by reading the thead on the Virgin Media Community here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/DMARC-rejection-on-replies/m-p/3807302/highlight/false#M1...

Tim

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
NeilO
Message 2 of 3

Re: BT and DMARC

Go to solution

@ravenstar68 Hi Tim, yes BT use DKIM on outgoing emails.

0 Ratings
ravenstar68
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: BT and DMARC

Go to solution

Hi, I'd like to thank you for confirming you use DKIM.

Alternative possibilities are.

• Forwarding server modifying the email - unlikely, based on the fact that he receives mails from my server with no difficulties.
  • Sender not using the correct server when sending mails.

I shall raise these possibilities with the OP in the Virgin Media thread. 

Thanks.

Tim

0 Ratings