After the outage yesterday, I can now get past the My BT page and reach the email login page. I have tried to access my webmail so that I can see whether there is anything in my spam folder. I have tried to enter my password three times now and each time it says 'incorrect password'.
I know I am putting in the right password - I've done it very carefully. (Caps lock is not on.) My emails are coming correctly to Outlook and to my iPad.
I can't keep trying because I will end up locked out. That will mean all sorts of hassle phoning BT and so on. I don't want to go through the 'Forgotten password' process because I haven't forgotten it and it's clearly working elsewhere. I don't want to change settings which worked correctly up until now.
Do you know whether this is a common problem after whatever went wrong with BT over the last couple of days? And what do I do? Just wait and see? Checking my spam folder isn't essential at the moment; it's just a housekeeping habit.
Perhaps it isn't related to the outage, but my BT webmail login page has worked well for a long time, was working late on Tuesday (just before people started seeing the 'something new' holding page), then the BT system has a problem, and immediately I have a problem.
I know from an experience two years ago that if I try too many times, BT will lock me out and their first suggestion will probably be to change my password. (The experience two years ago was caused by Apple having a malfunction.) I had to change my password seventeen times because it just went round and round a loop. The BT call centre had to change it and she couldn't do it at first either. I am really reluctant to embark on that procedure.
Most of the time BT works well and I would describe myself as a happy client for over 20 years. But when it goes wrong it does so in style and the call centre staff don't all seem equipped to resove problems. I have had an email account with another email provider for probably 25 years and the last time it malfunctioned was probably ten years ago.
Well, now the webmail login page works, so the password was correct. I can see my emails as webmail.
But Outlook, my phone and my iPad can't access my emails. "The mailserver mail.btinternet.com is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info into Mail settings." (Phone)
I suppose I will just have to wait and see whether it sorts itself out.
Hi there, this is exactly the trouble I'm having too. I think it was Tuesday it started for me also. I've now deleted my bt mail from my phone and can't get it back! How did yours resolve please? Mine sorted itself out on Tuesday ( by chance I think, it just decided to accept my password at some point) but has now started playing up again.....
I didn't do anything. I gritted my teeth and just waited. And waited.
A while later, forlornly and without hope, I decided to try the webmail login (via the My BT page). I found it had come back, and it worked. Great!
But then I found that neither my phone, nor my iPad, nor my Outlook could get mail because, it said, my password was wrong or the server wasn't responding. I have been here before, and found in the past that I just have to wait until it sorts itself out. Eventually it does, but it can take hours or a couple of days.
I have also decided that if my settings all worked with no problems beforehand, then I am not going to change any settings at all until I am certain that the system has broken. When, naively in the past, I've contacted BT, I have found that the BT chat or call centre insist that I change my password. As I said earlier on, I had to change my password 17 times on the last occasion. Once I had my mail back on my phone and iPad, I decided to quit while I was ahead and just not reinstall BTmail on my iPadPro, because the more devices that were sending requests for email, the more muddled the problem became. When I changed my password on my phone, my iPad still had the former password installed, so the moment I turned my iPad back on it sent for email, gave the wrong password and this was being logged as a fraudulent attempt to access my email.
BT seem oblivious to this problem and deny that other people have it. They just say they haven't had any other reports of it. It doesn't seem as if the call centre script has the answer.
I'm sorry that I can't tell you about a way to resolve this, because I don't have one myself. I do sympathise. I suppose that if all else fails, the Gurus at a temple of Apple will be able to help you get your email back on your phone.