Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 9

BT ceasing email service

Go to solution

I'd recently read an article and seen that BT no longer offers email addresses to new customers or existing customers that never set up email addresses previously. It said existing email customers are unaffected for now but is this a prelude to BT eventually ceasing email services altogether? Thanks 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT ceasing email service

Go to solution

There is no official word about that but it seems like it would be the most logical thing to happen at some time in the future.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Ok thanks. I believe other ISPs had done similar things but no idea what time frame? It does seem like it's saying that email services are deemed more trouble than they're worth to ISPs these days so any idea in general when they may pull the plug lol 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

How long is a piece of string?

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

IIRC OFGEM have removed the requirement for ISP's to provide email so most are looking to ditch it as soon as they can because it's a costly product to provide and most standard domestic users have moved to Gmail etc... So it makes sense... 

I think BT have already withdrawn free email for new broadband customers so it's effectively now a legacy product that get withdrawn as soon as they can.. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@Anonymous Any answers you receive on this thread will be pure speculation, nobody knows.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Yes my line of thinking too. I myself use Gmail now rather than be tied to my dad's BT anymore. In terms of a time frame for when they may cease it altogether I only wondered if anyone knew of any other Issue who did the same thing just so there may be an example if that makes sense but no problems 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

How would the time scale of a different company doing some other issue be of any use. 

If BT and it is only an if, do decide to do it they will do it on their timescale that suits their business model and not that of some other company.

To give you piece of mind you could always pick a date and work towards that and if BT issue a shorter date you just speed up whatever you are trying to achieve if you have not already completed your task or if BT pick a date further away you can adjust your process accordingly.

Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

I had an issue with my Email a month or so ago and when I spoke to Tech Support (or whatever they are called) the chap I spoke to said there are no plans to close it and said he thinks it's got many years left - so no need to worry 😊

0 Ratings