cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT denies me access to my own EMAIL ACCOUNT if I use a VPN.

I use an expensive & highly reputable commercial VPN called NORDVPN. I use it abroad & in the UK. In both settings BT is denying me access to my own email account if I log on through my VPN. It doesn't matter which geographical VPN server I use, it could be a Singapore IP, it could be an IP from Denmark, I get the same denial of access. This is completely ridiculous. I have to log out of the VPN completely & log back in from a non-VPN IP or I am not allowed to read my own email. This is from an ordinary laptop running Win10-64bit and the Google chrome browser. I have attached the error message. How can I make them stop?BT_error_message.png

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT denies me access to my own EMAIL ACCOUNT if I use a VPN.

To be honest, I don't understand your problem.

Look at it from another point of view, say you were at home in the UK when some unknown person in (say) Singapore or Denmark managed to hack your account, no doubt you would be hopping mad and blaming BT for not securing your account properly. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@Les-Gibsonwrote:

To be honest, I don't understand your problem.....

If you don't understand the problem then you probably shouldn't have replied.

Message 4 of 5

I have tried some experiments to try to pin down the source of the problem. Rather than logging in using NordVPN I used one of the free public VPN services from Japan which can be accessed here . It was interesting to see that if I chose a reasonably fast VPN server then I could log in to my BT email account & see the inbox etc with no problem. So, there is NO general block being applied by BT to those who are using VPN to log in to their email. There must be something specific about the NordVPN configuration files that causes BT to immediately block log in attempts. The question is, what? I contacted the Support Chat at NordVPN and spent well over an hour discussing the problem with "Larry" who was very helpful. He thought the problem was arising because of a "DNS Leak" but none of the checks we did, including editing NordVPN configuration files with Notepad to include the header "no-outside-dns" made any difference at all. The problem persists. I think it could be as simple as BT having a list of VPNs it will not accept & NordVPN happens to be on the list while the Japanese free public VPN was not. Are there any other NordVPN users using this group who are experiencing the same problem?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hmmm... seems this problem has been around for a while.

0 Ratings