cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
infinidim
Expert
513 Views
Message 1 of 8

BT eMail Security

Folks, over the last three weeks I have had one of my eMail accounts breached three times on the Yahoo platform. What BT / Yahoo have seen is un-useal activity on my accound and have locked it, which I completely understand. Each time I have changed the password to a completely different one.

 

Are other people seeing this issue?

 

Would the moderators like to comment on what is BT doing to improve the security on the BT eMial (Yahoo) platform.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
511 Views
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT eMail Security

Are you sure that your account has actually been hacked. Have you checked the log on history to see if there has been any hacks. There have been a few posts about this and of "false positives" reports of unusual activity.

 

Link to check log on history. check IP location as well as country.

 

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login...

 

Have a read through this and check and change as suggested.

 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/

0 Ratings
infinidim
Expert
504 Views
Message 3 of 8

Re: BT eMail Security


@gg30340 wrote:

Are you sure that your account has actually been hacked. Have you checked the log on history to see if there has been any hacks. There have been a few posts about this and of "false positives" reports of unusual activity.

 

Link to check log on history. check IP location as well as country.

 

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login...

 

Have a read through this and check and change as suggested.

 

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/


I have had a long discussion with BT second level and they have agreed that there have been breaches of my account on a number of occasions. The will be migrating me to BT Mail which I have been told is not on the Yahoo platform.

Infinidim
Megadodo Publications
Ursa Minor Beta

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side
If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
497 Views
Message 4 of 8

Re: BT eMail Security


@infinidim wrote:

 What is BT doing to improve the security on the BT eMial (Yahoo) platform.


https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Latest-mail-security-problems/td-p/1201897

 

 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
495 Views
Message 5 of 8

Re: BT eMail Security

As you may be aware all BTYahoo email accounts will be migrated at some point away from BTYahoo to the new BTMail which is managed by a different company so hopefully this will provide better security but only time will tell.

0 Ratings
Andy787878
Aspiring Contributor
470 Views
Message 6 of 8

Re: BT eMail Security

I've just started having the same problem of having to reset the password. First time on Tuesday morning then again this morning. I've checked the yahoo log thing and nothing seems out of place or unusual. I use both the web based version and outlook but only ever from one computer.

Quite frankly though with the way this whole email migration thing has been going on, or rather hasn't and the fact yahoo's security record is poor I'm jumping ship and setting up a new main email account elsewhere. I just don't trust that BT or CP will get this one right and not cause major problems at some point.
0 Ratings
the_tinkers
Newbie
455 Views
Message 7 of 8

Re: BT eMail Security

I have had the same problem for a couple of weeks, having to reset my password eight times, and BT help desk were useless - they just told me to change my password and everything would be OK. Some hope - it kept  happening again within a couple of hours. However, I saw on a forum somewhere (I can't find it again) reference to the problem occurring if you use an ipad, iphone and Outlook all trying to download emails, as I was. I recall it saying that it was suggested that the ipad should have email Push switched off which I did (not knowing what on earth it was!) and the problem hasn't recurred over the last two days.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
441 Views
Message 8 of 8

Re: BT eMail Security


@the_tinkers wrote:

I have had the same problem for a couple of weeks, having to reset my password eight times, and BT help desk were useless - they just told me to change my password and everything would be OK. Some hope - it kept  happening again within a couple of hours. However, I saw on a forum somewhere (I can't find it again) reference to the problem occurring if you use an ipad, iphone and Outlook all trying to download emails, as I was. I recall it saying that it was suggested that the ipad should have email Push switched off which I did (not knowing what on earth it was!) and the problem hasn't recurred over the last two days.


I think you may have had a different problem. 

Problem 1.  Being asked repeatedly to input your password because BT think your account has been compromised and  as a result have frozen your account until you reset your password.

Problem 2. Being asked repeatedly to input your password because you are accessing your account from several devices at the same time. Changing your password will solve this temporarily.

Based on the information supplied you appear to have problem 2. More information is required to confirm this.

 

My advice for problem 2, posted a long time ago was:

 

There are several reasons why you get password rejected messages however based on the information you have supplied I have the following observations and advice.

 

1.  The failure message incorrect in that your username and password is likely to be correct but is being rejected for another reason.

 

2.  The most likely cause is some form of timeout.

 

 

3.  Providing you have a reasonably fast connection the timeout is likely to be because your account is being accessed by two or more of your devices at the same time.

 

4. To stop this happening you need to do the following.

 

 

a)  Do not use webmail unless you have to.

b)  If you do you use webmail make sure that you sign out when finished.

c)  Make sure that all your devices do not check for emails automatically but require manual intervention.

d)  Use POP instead of IMAP in email clients.

e)  Make sure smartphones and  tablets have Email accounts Push "off "and Fetch data "manually".

 

 

5.  If you have done all of the above and still get a failure then logging in and out of webmail will usually clear the problem. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD.

 

 

0 Ratings