cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

BT email App

Go to solution

Referred by Dan from Trust Pilot

BT Email App will not accept my BTID password and following the ‘forgot password’ instructions it will only change the MyBT ID password  which in turn the app will not accept - I’m going around in circles.  There is no facility on the BT website to just get a new password specifically for my email address.  

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT email App

Go to solution

Why are you trying to change your BTMail app password?

Without giving the details is your BTID the same as your email address?

Is your MyBT log on details the same as your BTID/email address?

Do you have a different password for the email account and your MyBT?

How are you trying to change your email password?

If you can still log onto your email account via a web browser and not using the BTMail app,  you can click on your username at the top right then go to "account info" and click on "Change my Password"  or you can use the "Forgotten Your Login Details" link on the log on page or log onto your MyBT then go to "Your Products" then "Email, Manage" then locate the email account that you want to change the password and click on "See Options" then "Change Password" 

Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

When I first became a BT customer I seem to remember having a separate email password.  On the Email help page it says ‘forgotten email password’ which I followed through but this actually changes the MyBT ID password - but the BTEmail app won’t accept it.    

My BT ID user name is an iCloud email address.

I can access my BT emails via the BT web page but I’d like to get all my email addresses in one place if possible.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

If you can access your email via the website, it is just the password on the app itself you need to change, not via the website change password mechanism.

Alternatively, use proper mail app such as Blue Mail rather than the dire BT mail app

Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

In case you are not sure how to change the password on the app, it is not by changing your email password via any of the routes I described above. What you are wanting to do is change the password within the email app, not your actual email password.

I don't use the BTMail app, there are far better free ones available, but I would imagine that you will need to enter into the settings on the app and look for where your username and password are stored. Once there enter the password that you used when accessing your email on a web browser.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have tried other email apps and still come across the same problem but I’ll try Bluemail and see what happens.   

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Thank you for your advice and I have gone through the change email password procedure a few times and all it does is change my MyBT ID password.  

I’m trying to set up an App in which all my emails can be together (iCloud/btinternet/gmail.  I cannot find a password specific to the individual email address - again I follow ‘forgot password’ and again it only changes the ID password.  When I enter this in any email app (BTemail/Blue Mail/Outlook) message appears :-

The IMAP server  “mail.btinternet.com” doesn’t support Password authentication.  Please check your account settings and try again.

I was able to add two BT email addresses to the default app on my iPad a year ago but one address will no longer send or receive mail - so I have to use Webmail.  I’m just trying to get them all in one place and failing miserably.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Don't follow the forgotten email password route.

Login to webmail here  and then follow the instructions @gg30340  posted in the last paragraph of message 2.

Once you have changed your password you can then try creating the account with the new password in the mail app of your choice.

Do not tick any boxes for secure password authentication, the correct settings are here  but most apps will automatically populate the correct settings once you have entered your email address and password.

Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Right - I’m sorry but I’ve followed your instructions - opened email web page - clicked on user name at top right - account info - change password -  it asks for existing password or forgot password - forgot password leads to ID password  and again this changes the BTID password NOT the password for email.

I’m not an expert tech person but not a rank beginner either.   I feel I’ve failed you. Sorry.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Don't click 'Forgotten password' just enter your current password and then new password.

0 Ratings