cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BT email - Apple

I have had 3 BT email accounts working on an Apple Mac for many years with no problems

Nothing has changed but for 3 days now I can no longer access email on one of my accounts. 

It throws up - "Can't connect" and asks for the password.

When I enter it says "unable to verify account name or password"

Any ideas pease?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT email - Apple

If you can still access mail via webmail, do nothing and it will right itself in a day or 2.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Yes I can. No problem on Android its just an Apple issue.

Thank you. I hope so.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 22

@licquoricewrote:

If you can still access mail via webmail, do nothing and it will right itself in a day or 2.

It's weird that we see quite a few reports on Apple devices, possibly more as generic devices than other stuff like Android or PCs. In the case the OP says it's fine on Android.

So to me that indicates something up with the way Apple is doing things. I've not got any of those devices. Hopefully as regulars we might get to the bottom of this potential issue (if one exists of course 🙂 ). I mean things like proxies, security products etc getting in the way (hidden updates maybe).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Up until today I was still unable to access email on Mac Mail so I deleted and added again and it now works.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

I have been having similar problems on IPad/ iPhone , getting emails but not able to send any , yet when I login  from another system able to log in with no problems, seems to be related to IOS as far as I can figure out but have no fix as yet

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 22

I have a Mac, iPhone 6 and an iPad, checked my account type on my mac and seem to have the right incoming and outgoing servers but on Yahoo mail. Not sure what to change on my Mac?  Or for that matter of fact, my iPhone and iPad.

Yet it seems that BT have sorted out my webmail from BT Yahoo to email.bt.com, which is the only way I can access my e-mails through MyBT. which is a pain.

I'm at a complete loss, and really dread ringing up BT for help.

So at the moment no e-mails on phone or iPad, which was working this a.m. but not now.

Actually, if I get a reply/fix from here I won't know unless I keep accessing MyBT!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Forgot to mention, my other half is not having any problems with his e-mails on his iPad or IPhone7. Has iYahoo and ICloud
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

same with myself , yahoo and iCloud working fine on IOS problem only with BT email

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

The correct setting for BT email is as per this link regardless if you are on BTYahoo or BTMail.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

If you are using the Yahoo settings your email account will stop working at some point if it has not already done so.

It should be noted that when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

0 Ratings