Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QSLM_SUPPORT
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT email accounts rejecting emails we send on behalf of our customers

Hi

I work for a company that hosts multiple databases for customers in the Estate and Letting industry and we offer the facility for them to email their clients through our system. We affectivly send the emails on behalf of the user from our server using their email address as the sent_from address.

Recently (1-2 months) my support desk have been receiving loads of calls advising that the emails to btinternet and talk21 accounts are not being received (not sure if others are affected too) and the bounce backs they are receiving suggest that the recipients mailbox is full, however emailing the same email address directly from the end users outlook / gmail accounts and the email is received without a problem.

We thought it may be an SPF issue so tested this theroy with a couple of clients and had our server IP addresses added to their SPF records with no positive effect... this has since been reverted back.

I have also run our IP addresses through (http://www.cyren.com/ip-reputation-check.html) and all return no problems.

There has clearly been a change to BT email accounts recently which has caused this issue but despite seeing other 'similar' posts I dont see that this has been resolved yet and my customers are still experiencing the problem.

All I need to know is that BT acknowledge this issue and can advise what needs to be done to recify it either by us or our client or their client.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT email accounts rejecting emails we send on behalf of our customers

I think you need to look at the Business forums as these are the Residential forums,

Look here: https://business.forums.bt.com/

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
QSLM_SUPPORT
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

hi rarmitage124 - seeing as the reciptient is the BT customer and a residential one at that, this seemed like the most apropriate place to post it.

Are you suggesting i'm not going to get any constructive feedback here?

The issue is residential BT customers are NOT receiving emails from my customers - not that we cant send them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@QSLM_SUPPORTThis is a customer to customer self help forum, the only BT staff are the moderators. I'm afraid you will not get any official technical help here. This seems to be an ongoing problem with the BT mail system at the moment. To say the whole mail system is a shambles currently is an understatement, BT are in the process of ditching their current mail supplier (Yahoo) in favour of a company called Openwave (formerly Critical Path). They seem to lurch from one disaster to another and seem incapable of coping with the size of the BT mail operation. In an effort to reduce spam to end customers, they appear to be over zealous with some of their implementations. Not much help I'm afraid but it puts you in the picture. I think the only way this is going to get resolved is by high level complaints by people such as yourself.

QSLM_SUPPORT
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

@licquorice Thanks for this - useful.

I have started the complaints proceedure - i'll see how this pans out.

0 Ratings
TopoftheHill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Has this problem been resolved please?

Thousands of people, including may of my correspondents seem to be suffering from this "bounce back" pronlem; by BT see to be ignoring it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 11

@TopoftheHill wrote:

Has this problem been resolved please?

Thousands of people, including may of my correspondents seem to be suffering from this "bounce back" pronlem; by BT see to be ignoring it.

Hi. Have you got a sample of the bounce message? (Removing any personal details).

From your original post it sounds more like a sending issue.

However, there seems to be a current problem when companies are sending bulk emails to many btinternet email addresses. This is a btmail problem caused by the mail provider, Openwave. So far there has been zero feedback, which is an extremely bad way to behave by them and btmail.

0 Ratings
TopoftheHill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

BT email accounts delaying & rejecting emails

Thank you Andy

Here's an example of a "bounce" message:-

This is the mail system at host mailout.nyi.internal.

####################################################################
# THIS IS A WARNING ONLY.  YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE. #
####################################################################

Your message could not be delivered for more than 6 hour(s).
It will be retried until it is 1 day(s) old.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<Jeremy.xxxxxxxx@BTInternet.Com>: delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection
    with mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[65.20.0.49] while sending RCPT TO

and here is an example of a total failure message:-

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

The mail system

<guyxxxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com>: host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[65.20.0.49] said:
    421 Too many messages (1.5.6.1) from 66.111.4.28 (in reply to MAIL FROM
    command)

I have spoken to the addressee on the 'phone and have ascertained that his mailbox is not full so "too many messages" is not the correct response.

The screen print below shows how frequent the problem is, 12 occurrances over 24 hours !

BTInternet Mail screen print.jpg

0 Ratings
TopoftheHill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Re: BT email accounts delaying & rejecting emails

To clarify I get these bounce messages when sending email to a single recipient, but also when I email the members of a community committee of which I am chairman.

In that case there are 3 members out of a dozen & emails to them are almost always delayed by many hours, and sometimes fail completely.

I am sure that the problem lies with Openwave, who seem to be totally inept, and do not respond to requests for help.

Surely there is smoething which one can do?

TH

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 11

Re: BT email accounts delaying & rejecting emails

@TopoftheHill wrote:

Thank you Andy

and here is an example of a total failure message:-

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

The mail system

<guyxxxxxxxxxx@btinternet.com>: host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[65.20.0.49] said:
    421 Too many messages (1.5.6.1) from 66.111.4.28 (in reply to MAIL FROM
    command)

I have spoken to the addressee on the 'phone and have ascertained that his mailbox is not full so "too many messages" is not the correct response.

Hi.

The too many messages is actually from you, rather than the end mailbox. The IP address 66.111.4.28 is the one Openwave is complaining about - implying you are sending too many to "them", or BTinternet users in general. This has been seen on other posts.

Judging by your last post, it seems like Openwave/BTMail are having issues with your mail serving system (out4-smtp.messagingengine.com), looks like a Fastmail service based in Australia.

It's hard to say which end is at fault, but I know who I'd point the finger at due to recent issues.

0 Ratings