cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 31 of 41

Re: BT email fails on Mac: new story

FAO DanielS: I cannot find out how to seend you a message, so it has to be one more posting. The last one for tonight! On the tentative basis of a few more tests, I have a suspicion (though no more than a suspicion) that if I send an email to my btinternet address and then do not view my bt emails in the Mail client on my Mac, nor on my iphone, the email may remain in my btinternet inbox. It seems just possible that viewing my online bt inbox via my phone or the Mail app on my Mac somehow makes emails disappear from the online inbox. But I don't think that these behaviours are consistent, without exceptions.

Michael Graubart.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 41

@Michael_Graubartwrote:
FAO DanielS: I cannot find out how to seend you a message, so it has to be one more posting. The last one for tonight! On the tentative basis of a few more tests, I have a suspicion (though no more than a suspicion) that if I send an email to my btinternet address and then do not view my bt emails in the Mail client on my Mac, nor on my iphone, the email may remain in my btinternet inbox. It seems just possible that viewing my online bt inbox via my phone or the Mail app on my Mac somehow makes emails disappear from the online inbox. But I don't think that these behaviours are consistent, without exceptions.

Michael Graubart.

Hi again.

When you look at the emails via webmail, are the emails in the Trash folder?

From your information above, it almost seems like you've got rules setup in the Mac and iPhone that deletes the emails when read.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 33 of 41

Thanks, Andy_N. No rules - I’ve checked - and the behaviour is too inconsistent (some emails stay, some go) for anything except some obscure and complex algorhythm.

I’m now holding my breath: the last two emails I sent to my bt address as trials about 12 hours ago are still there though about 3 hours ago I did use both Apple Mail (Mac) and phone to look at them.. I suspect something has been going on at BT or at Yahoo.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 41

Are your devices set up as POP3 or IMAP?

I agree with Andy, it sounds very much as if you have a device set up as POP3 without 'Leave a copy of the message on the server' ticked.

Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 35 of 41

Both my devices (Mail on my Mac, Mail on iphone) are set up with IMAP — not POP3.  No rules are set up on either (I have checked). And the behaviour is too random and inconsistent to be following any rules.

Last night I sent two emails to my btinternet address. Both were received in my online webmail inbox, and both are still there in the Mail inboxes on both devices now ( 17:44 UK time) despite my having looked at my btinternet inboxes and opened the mail messages on both devices this morning. The system seems now to be behaving itself (fingers crossed!) though I have changed nothing on either device.

In the Apple Discusssions there are many posts by other Mac users describing problems with BT (Yahoo?) mail. Some (at least two) years ago, BT customers like me were promised that all BT Yahoo users would be moved to BT's own mail system within months. What has happened to that? I have no reason to be confident that BT mail is more reliable than BT Yahoo mail, but it might be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 41

The migration was stopped some years ago and has never resumed.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 37 of 41

Oh, thanks for telling me. At least I can stop waiting for it to happen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 38 of 41

@Michael_Graubartwrote:

Oh, thanks for telling me. At least I can stop waiting for it to happen.

Believe it or not, the migration started around March 2014, then was permanently halted in September 2014.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 39 of 41

Well, I must say my sense of time is slipping! But hostory was never my best subject at school, though I taught history of music at different colleges during my working life. Thanks for enlightening me.
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 40 of 41

Last resort: DanielS (Moderator) has very kindly sent me a private message within this system, asking if my btinternet mail system is now working. I replied as. follows:

Hi DanielS,

That’s really kind of you. Yes, apart from the occasional temporarary failures by btinternet to recognize my password, which havel gone on ever since I have had a BT account, my internet system has worked well. Thank you very much for your help, and for checking back today.

Best regards,
Michael Graubart.

But, irritatingly but appropriately enough for a correspondence about BT's failings, a message appeared to the effect that DanielS has not got messages enabled! So I have to reply here.

0 Ratings