cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 1 of 41

BT email fails on Mac: new story

I have a BT account (telephone, broadband, email). My computer is a Mac (MacOS 10.14.1). I also have an iPhone SE (iOS 12.1).

Emails addressed to my BT email address have recently (i.e. in the last week or two) stopped arriving.  Unlike previous reports, this has nothing to do with the Mac's Mail app, because they also do not appear if I try to access my emails online at BT.com. 

On my phone, there is no problem of this kind. My email address and password are, of course, the same on both devices.

Any help will be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 2 of 41

Re: BT email fails on Mac: new story

The situation seems to change day by day. The latest is that mail sent to my btinternet address from my phone also now fails to arrive.

How am I to know if a kind person replies to this, since the reply will be sent to that same btinternet address?

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 3 of 41

The situation now (c. 17:00 UK time) has become bizarre: In order to eliminate any possible problem with my Mac's Mail.app, I opened my online BT email window and sent an email to my BT address from my phone. It appeared on the phone almost immediately and appeared on the Mac after about 10 seconds. I then waited for about 20 seconds, and as  I watched, the message disappeared from the online email inbox. On checking, it had also disappeared from my phone's BT inbox.

Can anyone suggest an explanation of what is going on?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 41

Have you checked that there are no forwarding addresses set up on your email. It could be that your account has been hacked and the email is being forwarded to another email address and then deleted from your account.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 41

Hi @Michael_Graubart,

I'd recommend you changed your email password in case your emails are being downloaded onto another email client and the emails deleted from the server. However; it's likely that you have forwarding enabled as @gg30340 suggests. If you need any help with this please let me know and I'll do my best to help you out.

It's also worth reading How can I tell if my email account has been compromised?

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 6 of 41

Thank you very much. DanielS, for this advice. Actually I already have BT Virus Protect installed. But would you be so kind as to tell me how I can establish whether forwarding has been activated? Thank you in anticipation.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 7 of 41

Thank you very much, gg30340. Your colleague, DanielS, has also replied to my cri de coeur. I already have BT Virus Protect installed, but I should be very grateful for information about. how I can detect whether forwarding has been set up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 41

If you are on the BTMail system rather than the BTYahoo system you need to log onto your email via a web browser then go to "Settings".  Scroll down to "Mail" and click on it then scroll down to "Auto Forward". Click on that and check to see if there are any email addresses set up in the "Destination" box.

If there is take a note of it then untick the box "Switch on etc .."

Click save then exit your email. 

You now need to change your password, in fact you should do that regardless if auto forwarding was active or not because it could be that somebody is manually accessing your email and deleting them.

Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 9 of 41

Thank you again. I shall try that as soon as I have sent this reply. But I have another question as a result of your reply: I do not know whether I am on BTMail or BTYahoo. When I tried to find out some considerable time ago from the BT website, I got contradictory information. Could you please enlighten me about this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 41

When you log onto your email via a browser, if you see Yahoo anywhere it means you are on the BTYahoo system. No sign of Yahoo means you are on the BTMail system.

0 Ratings