cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 11 of 41

Re: BT email fails on Mac: new story

That is very useful indeed. On that basis I am on Yahoo. Under the gear-wheel icon, I cannot find Mail > Auto forward, but I assume from your message that that only applies to BTMail, not Yahoo. So how can I find 'Auto forward' in Yahoo mail? I apologise for prolonging this conversation.

Incidentally, your messages have not been disappearing!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 41

Auto forwarding is no longer an option on BTYahoo mail so you will not be able to access it. I'm not entirely sure what happens to any auto- forwarding rules that were implemented before the facility was withdrawn.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 41

I am not on the BTYahoo system but as far as I am aware there is no forwarding feature on the BTYahoo system.

I would still change your password just to be sure.

This is the BT link to change your password.

https://my.bt.com/s/apps/appsselfserve/index.html#/forgotlogindetails?srfd=y

If you find it doesn't work try this link.

https://register.btinternet.com/cgi-bin/chpasswdsso

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 41

Hi again @Michael_Graubart,

I think it would be best that you contacted me so I can check over your account for you.

Before I offer you our contact link can you check this help article from Yahoo?

Change your reply-to address in Yahoo Mail

Check that link for me and let me know if you can see a different email address in the reply to field. If there is something else there then it would appear that your email has been compromised. If that's the case please complete our contact form. To get in touch with us, click on my user name, view profile, and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser. If you do this tonight and let me know I will personally help you tomorrow.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 41

It won't do any harm to check but if the reply to address had been changed the emails would not reach the email account in the first place, they would go directly to the "new" reply to email address.

It would also not affect any emails that were being sent to the email account by users entering the email address rather than using the "reply to" feature.

Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 41

Having a different Reply-To address won't cause the issue of the OP. They simply wouldn't receive the emails and see them disappear.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 41

@licquoricewrote:

Auto forwarding is no longer an option on BTYahoo mail so you will not be able to access it. I'm not entirely sure what happens to any auto- forwarding rules that were implemented before the facility was withdrawn.

I believe that the auto-forwarding simply stopped. I've not looked properly yet, but I seem to recall users not seeing their forwarded emails to the forwarding account. That would also indicate that the emails received would just be in the Inbox

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 41

Hey @Andy_N and @gg30340,

I agree that it won't cause the issue the OP is experiencing but it's still good practice to check it as it's still something that a hacker may have changed. It's something that is often overlooked.

I'll be in the office tomorrow after half 12 and I'd really like to investigate this.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 41

@Michael_Graubartwrote:

That is very useful indeed. On that basis I am on Yahoo. Under the gear-wheel icon, I cannot find Mail > Auto forward, but I assume from your message that that only applies to BTMail, not Yahoo. So how can I find 'Auto forward' in Yahoo mail? I apologise for prolonging this conversation.

Incidentally, your messages have not been disappearing!

Hi.

Can you expand a little on this last bit "Incidentally, your messages have not been disappearing!"

Can it be assumed that you don't have more devices that you check emails? Clearly all your accounts you've mentioned must be set-up as IMAP accounts for you to see the emails disappear.

I'm not saying this has happened, but have you received any recent emails (or texts) saying that you need to enter your email address into a website in order to "Keep it", or "Update it" or similar sort of wording - and that you might have responded?

As has already been mentioned, a password change is pretty much a necessity. If you've not done so already, before you do, make sure you turn off all auto-checking on all your devices. After the password change, wait at least 15 minutes before checking with a app/client on a device. Then do one at a time.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 20 of 41

I am getting. confused, but nothing seems to be working with my BT mail account now that I havechanged my password. (I have changed it in Mac Mail, too, and on my phone).

0 Ratings