Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT email or Yahoo

Hi,

Received an email from BT advising me to change various settings on my Email client (Outlook) which involved server name and ports.

I assumed this was because we were eventually being migrated from Yahoo to BT email but appears this is not the case. When i access email via web browser i still get directed to Yahoo.

Will we ever get migrated from Yahoo to BT ?

My second question is that should we cancel our BT broadband contract would i still keep my email address since it is hosted by Yahoo and not BT.?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT email or Yahoo

Regardless of which email system you are on, the settings in the email will be the correct ones to use. If you cancel your broadband contract you either need to pay £7.50/m to keep your email address or lose it. The platform is immaterial, it is BTYahoo not Yahoo.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

You should use the correct server settings as per this link. If you don't you will not be able to access your email via an email client.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

If you leave BT, regardless of which email system you are presently on, your email account will be deleted if you do not either pay for BT Premium email or have it associated to an active BT Broadband account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for that although assumed BT would charge an extortionate amount to keep your email even on the Yahoo platform.

Can i assume that the promised change to all email users to migrate to the BT platform has been abandoned as a complete failure.

Should i pay for Premium mail would i then be migrated to the BT platform or stay on the ancient Yahoo system?

However should i leave BT i highly suspect i would change to a Gmail account rather than paying nearly £100 a year for the same service.

Think a lot of customers feel the same way as well. Seems the email charge is a way to keep customers tied to the BT product.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

If you pay for mail nothing changes, it is just an admin change.

With a Gmail account you are not tied to any ISP

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Still no answer though to the failed email migration from Yahoo to BT.

Will it ever happen or can we individually request to be transferred .

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

There are posts on the forum where customers appear to have recently been migrated following receipt of the email you have received.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Emrsw01 wrote:

Thanks for that although assumed BT would charge an extortionate amount to keep your email even on the Yahoo platform.

Can i assume that the promised change to all email users to migrate to the BT platform has been abandoned as a complete failure.  The migration which started in 2014 stopped shortly after it started. There have been some reports from a few forum users that they have recently been moved from BTYahoo to the BTMail system so it may be that BT are reconsidering and re-starting the migration but there has been no comment one way or the other from BT. This is not surprising because it is very rare if indeed ever that BT announce anything they are about to do. They tend to wait until they have done it then tell you it has been done.

Should i pay for Premium mail would i then be migrated to the BT platform or stay on the ancient Yahoo system? If you were to get BT premium email you would not change which system you are on. You would only be changed if BT do re-start the official migration.

However should i leave BT i highly suspect i would change to a Gmail account rather than paying nearly £100 a year for the same service. Unless you can not live without your BT email address that would make sense.

Think a lot of customers feel the same way as well. Seems the email charge is a way to keep customers tied to the BT product. That would appear to be a reason but you also have to bear in mind that it costs money to maintain an email system. The email supplier also has to comply with GDPR regulations, security etc  so why should any company take responsibility for the security of peoples email who are not customers.