cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT email outgoing server

Go to solution

Hi, I recently updated my BTID password and although I have updated my password in mail settings on iOS 15 settings, the outgoing mail server won’t respond and states credentials wrong.  Incoming mail server works fine.  I have tried deleting whole email account on iOS and adding back but still doesn’t work.

Any suggestions, feels like a BT mail issue not playing ball with apple authentication on SMTP.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT email outgoing server

Go to solution

Make sure you are not trying to use Secure Password Authentication (SPA), authentication should be plain as the whole connection is encrypted using SSL and SPA is not required and does not work.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks, it’s plain password and didn’t touch these anyway as was working fine before I changed password.  Just changed the password

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You just said you deleted the account and re-added it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, I did as a last resort but before that I simply changed password and didn’t work. Double checked the settings and its configured as SSL, plain password which is default anyway for iOS 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

When you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

If you have deleted the email account, when re- setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings which as you know are in this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

If the above does not help it appears that there could be a problem with the BT servers synchronising correctly. To try and over come this you should stop your devices from checking for email on the problem account. The easiest way of doing that is to turn the devices off or if you are not able to do that, change the email address by adding some characters to it so that the "real" account is not being polled.

Once you have done that, change your email password again and check that you can still access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour and then add the new password to one of your devices and check it works. If it does then move onto the next device.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thankyou,  great info in there.  On first point I had already updated the outgoing password as per instructions.   I think it was a synchronisation delay as suggested in your final suggestion as now seems to be working without me doing anything further.   Perhaps deleting and re-adding did help in end but who knows.  Or it was just a delay updating on server

0 Ratings