cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colliedog1
Message 1 of 5

BT 'employees' are they genuine?

Go to solution

I keep getting threatening Emails from various sources, stating I am in trouble for downloading 'unsavory' information etc, which I have not and if I do not send money to them, (US dollars), they will tell everyone and I will be arrested. (I am a 64 year old disabled lady). Receiving several telephone calls saying someone has accessed my broadband Router at   my home address  and I will be in trouble with the police if I don't let them access my computers to sort this out? He knew my id number, full address, all  telelphone numbers and everything? My router is on private anyway? I asked for the latest's details, which were DAVID KAPOOR, suposingly a BT employee, ID number BT201OSD and he gave me a tel. number to ring, 02032870564, one of many bombarding me with this is it a scam, as I am not with BT but with Post Office, very worried now and tired of this pestering, what should I do? I block the calls each time but they come back on another number? On my mobile mainly But they seem to know too much about me? Anyone else had this happen please?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT 'employees' are they genuine?

Go to solution

It is a scam and con. Do NOT respond to them in any way and Do NOT allow them any access to your computer.

They have nothing to do with BT. They are conmen and thieves.

There are thousands of these scams  carried out every day and you are not being singled out.  If you keep responding they will keep trying to get you to give into their demands.

If you ignore them and do not respond to them they will eventually move on and stop contacting you.

-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

BT and other providers send warning letters/emails notifying you of any infringement, along with educational notices from Get it Right from a Genuine Site

BT would never ask for any money, nor would any provider to be fair, in order to fine you they would need to take you to court as downloading copyright material is a criminal offence, It's no longer civil, so you would need to be found guilty like any other criminal offence.

Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@Colliedog1wrote:

I keep getting threatening Emails from various sources, stating I am in trouble for downloading 'unsavory' information etc, which I have not and if I do not send money to them, (US dollars), they will tell everyone and I will be arrested. (I am a 64 year old disabled lady). Receiving several telephone calls saying someone has accessed my broadband Router at   my home address  and I will be in trouble with the police if I don't let them access my computers to sort this out? He knew my id number, full address, all  telelphone numbers and everything? My router is on private anyway? I asked for the latest's details, which were DAVID KAPOOR, suposingly a BT employee, ID number BT201OSD and he gave me a tel. number to ring, 02032870564, one of many bombarding me with this is it a scam, as I am not with BT but with Post Office, very worried now and tired of this pestering, what should I do? I block the calls each time but they come back on another number? On my mobile mainly But they seem to know too much about me? Anyone else had this happen please?

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I'm afraid all of these are 100% scams.

The "unsavoury" email one is an extortion scam, and I expect says to pay US dollars in bitcoins - there are a massive amount of these about.

The calls saying someone has accessed your is a typical telephone threaten scam, trying to frighten the person into letting them access your computer. They clearly have your phone number, but when you say ID number - what ID do they think they have?

The number is not a BT number, and the name given has been used before in similar scam calls. These idiots will simply keep trying.

Your number is probably ported to Post Office from BT and in a BT nominal range as designated on the Ofcom database, so the scammers will think it's a BT number.

They will keep changing their "called" from number as it's a spoofed number using a VoIP system, and they know people block them.

There are a lot of these emails and calls about, so as others have said, don't reply to them or do anything.

Highlighted
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Colliedog1  and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry you've been receiving these emails. The guys here are 100% correct. They're definitely scam emails and you should delete them. Kudos to @Andy_N @-Richie-  and @gg30340  for replying. If you have any other questions please post back and the community will be happy to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings