cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tupelo100
Message 1 of 11

BT have 'lost' my long standing email account

I am not sure anyone will be able to help with with this problem and I post it mostly to warn of the pitfalls of solely relying on BT servers for your email.

I lost access to my (very long standing!) email account over a week ago. I try to log in and I only get a blank white page. The problem has been 'escalated to the appropriate team' by the BT helpdesk. However you cant speak to the 'escalated team' and no one has been able to give me any idea when I will have access to my account again. I was told yesterday that it is a problem with the BT servers and I was not the only person who is experiencing no access to their email account.

Foolishly (probably) I did not back up my emails and relied on the stability of BT servers to be the safest method of storing them. So at present I cant get my emails to confirm my holiday travel details, which as an independent traveller is not just a case of contacting one travel agent; and I cant access a number of other important emails going back many years.

This is the first time I have had to rely on BT Help in anyway and it is not a pleasant experience. I have been cut off from the online chat when my number has counted down to 1. I have been cut off when on hold several times; and whilst the call centre staff are very polite they can not help me and their role seems to be to placate and not redirect.

I have also made 3 complaints to BT via their complaints link and not had one response even to acknowledge the problem.

Extremely poor service from BT to a longstanding BT customer.

On the plus side I have set up a new email elsewhere which now frees me up to move to a new broadband provider when my contracts up; I had been deterred before by the hassle of having to change my email address!

Every cloud ......

Sorry to moan but hopefully reading about my experience may help someone else to take the necessary steps to back up their emails.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT have 'lost' my long standing email account

If you want to look after your own mails, a much better alternative is to run an email client on your own PC, such as Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird (there will be similar programs for Mac or Linux).

That way, all your emails are downloaded onto your own PC, and you can back them up as often as you like.

If the web mail isn't working for you, it's just possible that a mail client may work instead.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Just to expand on what Ectophile has suggested, if you set up an email client as an IMAP account, it should replicate your webmail account and provided your email account is still available and not deleted or being unavailable on the servers, it should give you access to your missing email folders.

If you set it up as a POP account it will only download the emails that are presently within your inbox folder.

See this link for the difference between POP and IMAP and you can decide which will suit you best once you have this present problem resolved.

http://www.howtogeek.com/99423/email-whats-the-difference-in-pop3-imap-and-exchange/

ALAN1945
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

If you have set up a new e mail account Surely on the bt mail account you can redirect/forward bt mail to that account
If you can't access the page which seems strange, send bt a request for them to do it for you, they appear to be failing to provide the service you are paying for
OAP41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

I amnot a yechie,but find this site intriguing. THANKS
0 Ratings
OAP41
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

OOps and not good with keyboard either !!!!
0 Ratings
tupelo100
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the advice.
Yes I am now running an email client via imap so if this happens again at least I have my email history.
I hadn't thought of opening a new bt email and asking bt to forward emails from my old account and bt didn't offer it as an idea either. That said I can't get access to my account so will have to talk it through with the help desk .... Oh dear!

As an update BT are now telling me that this problem is effecting a 'number of people' and it is still being worked on by the Yahoo tier 3 team.
No one at BT seems too interested and my complaints are going unanswered.
I am not confident that I will ever be able to get my email history back (approx 5 years worth!)

I originally posted my story so others are aware that this could happen to them out of nowhere as it did with me.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

I don't suppose Yahoo really care any more, since BT are dumping them very soon.  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44789/?s_cid=con_FURL_email_newemail

0 Ratings
Dorset_knob
Message 9 of 11

2 months ago my bt email was hacked & all my contacts deleted.  I started again & migrated as much as I could to other email accounts.  I've been using the new login for the past 4 weeks to check on the few I missed to migrate & yesterday I got a blank page & again this morning.  Guess what? Who can you go to for help.......why, NO_ONE. The bigger the organisation they less they care, & along with Whitehall, etc, BT takes the other biscuit......

0 Ratings
soapy
Expert
Message 10 of 11

if you are just getting a blank page try deleting your cookies and cache, that is what worked for me, it worked perfectly after i did that

0 Ratings