Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT mail will not accept password

Go to solution

My computer: Mac, OS 10.13.4 (Mojave). My phone: iPhoneSE, iOS 12.1.4

This is an age-old problem, which has now got disastrously worse. I have had a BT landline and BT mail account (not a Yahoo! one) for many years. And for many years the BT system has every few weeks stopped accepting my password for a day or a few days and then spontaneously accepted it again, or been persuaded to do so by my deleting and reinstalling my BT mail accounts on both my devices.

This time it stopped on 1 May and has not restarted, so I decided to try changing my password. I did so, and the new password works perfectly well for 'MyBT' and for my BT webmail (i.e. in my browser) — but not in the mail clients on either of my devices. I once more deleted my BT mail accounts on both devices, but now I cannot reinstall them at all on either device. Fortunately I also have a Gmail account and most of my contacts now use that, but for certain purposes, including communications (such as bills) with BT itself, I still use the BT mail system.

Today I tried 'chatting' with a BT adviser. Despite my telling him that I am an experienced user of my computer and smartphone and, in particular, that I have had more than enough experience of deleting my mail accounts on both my devices and then setting them up again, he sent me instructions for setting up a mail account on my Mac. When I repeated that I had already tried that, he informed me that he was not trained to do anything further.

I have said my say about BT's help systems in the past and shall refrain from repeating myself, but I should be very grateful if someone reading this cri de coeur here could offer some help.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT mail will not accept password

Go to solution

I have to reply to myself. Whether this is magic or an improbable coincidence, after posting the above post I tried for the third or fourth time today to set up my BT mail accounts again, both on my Mac and on my iPhone — and on both devices it worked without any difficulties this time. Moreover they are now working and my emails addressed to my BT address are coming through in the Mail clients on both devices.

I should still, however, be very grateful for any advice regarding restoring service in case the problem reappears in the future.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

@Michael_Graubartwrote:

I have to reply to myself. Whether this is magic or an improbable coincidence, after posting the above post I tried for the third or fourth time today to set up my BT mail accounts again, both on my Mac and on my iPhone — and on both devices it worked without any difficulties this time. Moreover they are now working and my emails addressed to my BT address are coming through in the Mail clients on both devices.

I should still, however, be very grateful for any advice regarding restoring service in case the problem reappears in the future.

Hi.

The advice is to do nothing, don't change settings, don't change password and don't remove/re-add the accounts. So that's for the future when it happens again ...

This usually seems to affect BTYahoo accounts.

As you have found out, it suddenly starts working - hence it's simply an account access issue somewhere in the server farm/authentication servers.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Andy_N,

Thanks very much for that reassuring advice. In the past I have generally waited. But this time — 10 days! — it seemed so long that I felt it must have been caused by problems at my end. I shall take your advice and contain my soul in patience in the future.

0 Ratings
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
Well, to what should be my amazement, but unfortunately is not, my BT mail (via client) has once more stopped accepting my password this morning!
0 Ratings
SJT
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
Hi
I have the same problem after a password change 2 days ago, while my partner can access the same email address via his phone I cannot yet. I can only access email via the web link.
How long does it usually take for the 'password reset ' to work? I have read up to 2 days is this correct?

I have not changed any settings other than the password and checked and double checked them all to be ok. Just wondering at what point I need to start taking more action.
Appreciate any advice you can give.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@SJTwrote:
Hi
I have the same problem after a password change 2 days ago, while my partner can access the same email address via his phone I cannot yet. I can only access email via the web link.
How long does it usually take for the 'password reset ' to work? I have read up to 2 days is this correct?

I have not changed any settings other than the password and checked and double checked them all to be ok. Just wondering at what point I need to start taking more action.
Appreciate any advice you can give.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The 2 day thing is not actually correct, a password reset takes seconds to register for webmail, and can be a few minutes for app/client access using pop3/imap access.

The thing to remember when changing password, is to stop all devices from auto-syncing with the server. Change the password and then wait at least 20 minutes before trying a device app/client. Then try one at a time altering the password (without checking emails first of course). Then move onto the next device.

As this has been more than a  couple of days, the thing to do is change password again - but making sure the above is followed.

The fact that one of you can access the email and the other not could mean that the old password still works, and perhaps not altered the password on their phone? There are quite a few peculiar scenarios with the mail system and device access ...

0 Ratings
SJT
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks very much for these instructions. We followed them and everything is working now.

Cheers!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Michael_Graubart
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

I, on the other hand, followed the alterntive advice earlier in this string and did nothing. After several days, my password suddenly began to be accepted again by the BT system. I had barely finished sighing with relief before it went off again for a day or thereabouts and then came on again. Since then it has basically been working, though with occasional malfunctions lasting from an hour to several hours.

This is all very well and very amusing and so on, but is it not scandalous that an organization of the scale and importance of BT has had this intermittent fault for years and has failed to rectify it? There was talk at one time of all BT/Yahoo! customers being transferred to just BT, but that 'went away'.

I have had to move almost all my emailing to gmail and have had repeatedly to inform all my contacts about this and change all accounts that I have with all manner of cultural and commercial bodies. I now only use my btinternet e-address for communications with BT itself, but I do still occasionally receive — or from time to time fail to receive — other mail in my btinternet inbox from correspondents who have failed to take note of my 'change of e-address' messages.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@Michael_Graubart wrote:

I have had to move almost all my emailing to gmail and have had repeatedly to inform all my contacts about this and change all accounts that I have with all manner of cultural and commercial bodies. I now only use my btinternet e-address for communications with BT itself, but I do still occasionally receive — or from time to time fail to receive — other mail in my btinternet inbox from correspondents who have failed to take note of my 'change of e-address' messages.

To ensure you don't miss any emails sent to your BTYahoo email account you could set up forwarding in your BTYahoo email address to forward all emails to your gmail account. This should happen even if you can not log into the BTYahoo email account as it is not dependant on you logging on. 

If you do decide to do that make sure that you do log onto the BTYahoo account at least once every 90 days or your account will be deleted for no-usage.

0 Ratings