cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andydenyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 12

BT no longer wanting me to report scam emails?

I've just tried reporting yet another scam email claiming to be about Dragon's Den (yeah, right), which still seem to be getting through the spam filters (but not my own rules as I divert them to a separate folder for dealing with).

However, despite sending another email earlier today successfully, my latest email has just been rejected by BT as follows:

We could not deliver your message as the email provider of the person you were trying to send to has rejected it. If you have tried to send to multiple people, we have listed the people who did not get the message below and the reason.

Your message was rejected by smtpe1.intersmtp.com for the following reason:

5.5.0 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: message refused

The following recipients did not receive this message:

<abuse@bt.com>
     <phishing@bt.com>

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
JohnC2
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT no longer wanting me to report scam emails?

Hi @andydenyer, sorry you got this error when reporting spam.

If you try to it to just one of the 2 email addresses does it send ok?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
andydenyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for your reply @JohnC2

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is 'no' - I've just tried it and received the following response:

We could not deliver your message as the email provider of the person you were trying to send to has rejected it. If you have tried to send to multiple people, we have listed the people who did not get the message below and the reason.

Your message was rejected by smtpb1.bt.com for the following reason:

5.5.0 550 5.7.1 Requested action not taken: message refused

The following recipients did not receive this message:

<phishing@bt.com>
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 4 of 12

Hi @andydenyer, thanks for trying that for me and for highlighting this issue. I'll see what I can find out and post back to let you know.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
andydenyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 12

@JohnC2 I have an update for you.

This morning, I have just reported yet another spam email claiming to be about Dragons Den which got through the BT's spam filters (but not my own rules I've added to divert such emails to a specific folder for review). I'm pleased to say that this time my report has been acknowledged rather than rejected by BT.
JohnC2
Message 6 of 12

Hi @andydenyer, thanks for the update and was it sent to both addresses or just the one this time?

Also, do you know if your ip address has changed since the last failed attempt to send?

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
andydenyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

@JohnC2 both addresses. But as for IP address, absolutely no idea, I'm afraid. I was sending them via Outlook on my desktop PC which I do power down overnight. So whether that means I get allocated a new IP address every time I boot it up I just don't know, to be honest?
0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 8 of 12

Hi @andydenyer thanks for raising this, @JohnC2 reported to the team responsible for the inbox and they are getting that looked into. They've confirmed that if the emails are being rejected they most likely contain malicious content and they have recommended that you should delete them. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
andydenyer
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Thanks @NeilO. If they contain malicious content, then that must be contained in the emails that I am attaching to report! I don't open them myself. If they get through to Outlook, I always open webmail to see where it is allegedly coming from and select 'view source' before deciding whether to block the domain or sender as well as marking them as spam. I then attach them to an email for reporting.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

@NeilO wrote:

Hi @andydenyer thanks for raising this, @JohnC2 reported to the team responsible for the inbox and they are getting that looked into. They've confirmed that if the emails are being rejected they most likely contain malicious content and they have recommended that you should delete them. 

Thanks

Neil

Have the email team not got any clue at all? Do they not see the stupidity of having a system of reporting dodgy emails that rejects forwarded dodgy emails. You couldn't make it up!!!