cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edupin
Message 11 of 20

Re: BT rejecting emails from our servers

Has this just started to happen? In other words emails were being sent/received correctly until this moment? If it has just started, when did it start?

My customer has been with this problem always

Does this affect all btinternet recipients that you're trying to send to, or do some emails get through?

I think all, because directly server reject us, check the telnet command on my last post

Does this affect any other UK (or other) domains that you are trying to send to?

No, only to emails hosted under BT internet

The postmaster is in my view very poor, they never look at the general issue - simply one at a time.

With regard your initial post, it mentions "Test email". Is that something you created to try something?

This test email is only an email I sent to get the error and paste it here.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 20

@edupinwrote:

Here 2 tests from one server working and other bloked

WORKING

telnet mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk 25

Trying 65.20.0.49...

Connected to mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk.

Escape character is '^]'.

220 rgin19.bt.int.cpcloud.co.uk ESMTP Service ready

BLOCKED

telnet mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk 25

Trying 65.20.0.49...

Connected to mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk.

Escape character is '^]'.

554 rgin12.bt.ext.cpcloud.co.uk Service not available - access denied

Connection closed by foreign host.

To me that indicates that the load balancers are not working properly, or are using different "rule sets", or perhaps their internal access can't cope with the load.

I think that effectively shows that it depends which machine deals with the request - and that it can affect onward email presentation. They should do the same thing. No wonder the mail service is extremely poor.

The BT mail team must have stats to show these issues, but clearly either don't care or accept it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 20

@edupinwrote:

Has this just started to happen? In other words emails were being sent/received correctly until this moment? If it has just started, when did it start?

My customer has been with this problem always

Does this affect all btinternet recipients that you're trying to send to, or do some emails get through?

I think all, because directly server reject us, check the telnet command on my last post

Does this affect any other UK (or other) domains that you are trying to send to?

No, only to emails hosted under BT internet

The postmaster is in my view very poor, they never look at the general issue - simply one at a time.

With regard your initial post, it mentions "Test email". Is that something you created to try something?

This test email is only an email I sent to get the error and paste it here.

Thanks for the info.

Can you say how long this has actually been going on?

0 Ratings
edupin
Message 14 of 20

More than a year... trying to solve it, and customer obviously thinking into change the hosting provider. Now it seem someone answer me by email... let's see if finally is solved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 20

@edupinwrote:
More than a year... trying to solve it, and customer obviously thinking into change the hosting provider. Now it seem someone answer me by email... let's see if finally is solved.

Thanks.

It has long been recommended that people use something other than BTinternet email, for example Gmail.

There have been so many similar reports over the years in these forums, but nothing actually gets done to fix the generic issue. BT simply won't entertain investigating.

There will be future reports ...

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

I have had a problem with my server email BT for over two months.

After 6 weeks, Steve from postmaster@btinternet.com graced me with a single response:

---

Hi 
Noah, We will not remove that Class C from our block lists due the reputation of the ISP. Please arrange to move to a new ip address range with a better reputation. Yours, Steve for Postmaster at btinternet.com.

Obviously, this is a ridiculous response!

I have continued to call them, using my parent's BT account to get beyond the initial barrier of "Are you a BT customer" and talk to one of many departments that can do nothing about this problem.

The department in charge of this issue are only reachable using postmaster@btinternet.com - tricky if the server is already blocked. So, I've used my Yahoo! address to complain time and time again without any movement from BT's side.

It is a never-ending mess caused by an insane blocking of an entire IP range due to the perceived "reputation" of the ISP. Thanks to this arbitrary decision, 10,000s 100,000s, ... of legitimate emails are being blocked and most of the BT customers affected don't even realise!

This is insanity.

BT - fix this utter mess!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 17 of 20

@designextremewrote:

I have had a problem with my server email BT for over two months.

After 6 weeks, Steve from postmaster@btinternet.com graced me with a single response:

---

Hi 
Noah, We will not remove that Class C from our block lists due the reputation of the ISP. Please arrange to move to a new ip address range with a better reputation. Yours, Steve for Postmaster at btinternet.com.

Obviously, this is a ridiculous response!

I have continued to call them, using my parent's BT account to get beyond the initial barrier of "Are you a BT customer" and talk to one of many departments that can do nothing about this problem.

The department in charge of this issue are only reachable using postmaster@btinternet.com - tricky if the server is already blocked. So, I've used my Yahoo! address to complain time and time again without any movement from BT's side.

It is a never-ending mess caused by an insane blocking of an entire IP range due to the perceived "reputation" of the ISP. Thanks to this arbitrary decision, 10,000s 100,000s, ... of legitimate emails are being blocked and most of the BT customers affected don't even realise!

This is insanity.

BT - fix this utter mess!

Hi.

I assume you've gone through all the relevant settings making sure your servers are water tight using all the correct protocols etc?

Please be aware that BT can do this, as they are a private company and may want to protect their customers.

If your IP address is within a known blacklisted range for various reasons, then nothing will be done.

What ISP is this by the way? and what IP range?

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Hello Andy,

My server is only sending out legitimate emails, nothing in bulk. It was blocked by BT only before it even went live.

The IP address is: 144.76.24.9 and the IP C Class refers to a large number of IPs. Simply blocking emails in such a way is irresponsible and doing a disservice to their customers and my clients.

If they want to protect customers they're doing a very blunt job of it - preventing them from receiving many legitimate emails by many legitimate servers with no recourse for anyone affected.

Usually there is a form to remove specific IPs from a blacklist, but BT Internet clearly knows what is best for its customers ... eternal blocks from large swathes of the internet.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 20

In this case, BT clearly does know what it is doing. 

If you are a bulk sender, you should know about IP reputation and how important it is. If you need help, there are gazillion deliverability companies out there who do this for a living and advise on this - all major companies use one of these deliverability companies to help with their marketing campaigns etc. 

Why don't you contact you own hosting company and ask them to prevent bad actors using their service.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 20

@designextremewrote:

Hello Andy,

My server is only sending out legitimate emails, nothing in bulk. It was blocked by BT only before it even went live.

The IP address is: 144.76.24.9 and the IP C Class refers to a large number of IPs. Simply blocking emails in such a way is irresponsible and doing a disservice to their customers and my clients.

If they want to protect customers they're doing a very blunt job of it - preventing them from receiving many legitimate emails by many legitimate servers with no recourse for anyone affected.

Usually there is a form to remove specific IPs from a blacklist, but BT Internet clearly knows what is best for its customers ... eternal blocks from large swathes of the internet.

Hi.

The IP address doesn't seem to be blacklisted by itself, so the blocking is not specific to that IP address.

It doesn't actually matter if your server is sending out "legitimate" email, which if you'll excuse me, that's only your opinion of course. Not sure what you mean "nothing in bulk", that simply means a lot at a time.

There is nothing irresponsible by BT in the general case, although they do have a habit of being over zealous sometimes. I personally do have an issue with their practices.

However as New_to_UK has said, if your hosting company is allowing bad actors, and not doing anything about it - tell them and take your service elsewhere. The host can't move them internally to different IP addresses (whack-amole), as that isn't valid either. If it's affecting your business, refuse to do any with them. If they are willing to take "bad" money, then move.

It's harsh, but they have caused this it seems, not you specifically.

0 Ratings