Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
designextreme
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 46

Re: BT rejecting emails from our servers

Andy,

I am not moving to a new server provider because of BT's very arbitrary and poor practices. BT is the only ISP that have taken this action - to block an entire range of IPs. Even if one or two other IPs were doing all kinds of mal-practice, then these IPs and only these IPs should be blocked.

I've been on the phone for many hours with various departments and I am yet to hear anything productive. My next step is a maximum claim at a small-claims court - so £10,000 in damages from BT. I will be pursuing action after the long weekend.

I'll see what a judge says about the actions of BT that are having direct effects on my business as a British web hosting provider.

Best regards,

Noah

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 46

@designextremewrote:

Andy,

I am not moving to a new server provider because of BT's very arbitrary and poor practices. BT is the only ISP that have taken this action - to block an entire range of IPs. Even if one or two other IPs were doing all kinds of mal-practice, then these IPs and only these IPs should be blocked.

I've been on the phone for many hours with various departments and I am yet to hear anything productive. My next step is a maximum claim at a small-claims court - so £10,000 in damages from BT. I will be pursuing action after the long weekend.

I'll see what a judge says about the actions of BT that are having direct effects on my business as a British web hosting provider.

Best regards,

Noah

Good luck with that.

BT are a private company and can use their own blocking techniques (they probably use a mixture of anti spam systems, possibly including Spamhaus). There are a lot of small companies that do similar things. If a host is harbouring bad actors and either does nothing about it or simply moves them to other IPs in their pool, then a company has a right to block that host completely. It's certainly possible BT initially did only block individual IP addresses, but maybe as that didn't work they started to extend the IP range being blocked.

As I've said, I personally don't agree with the way BT does these things in general, but they will not be arbitrary or poor practice. What is poor practice is clearly the host, otherwise BT would not be doing this.

Harsh, yes, invalid, no.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 46

Please keep this thread updated how you get on trying to take BT through the small claims court. It should be very interesting to hear how you progress this and how you will be able able to prove what BT are doing wrong or unlawful.

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 24 of 46

@designextreme 

If you look at IBM threat intelligence for your IP address, BT are probably blocking it due to the history of malware from the previous owner up to December 2016

https://connect.security.ibm.com/app/threat-intelligence-insights/report/url/bot5.com

0 Ratings
designextreme
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 46

Sorry, but this is not a valid reason whatsoever... Three year old hack on one domain hosted by a server on a different IP address - and the old website is offline too... ? If BT are using this data then they are even bigger idiots than I thought.
0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 26 of 46

Just one part of it probably, but looking at it from another point of view, it was a hack that was unnoticed or unsecured for six months so any responsible ISP would be extra cautious before relaxing rules regarding accepting email.
I am not on either side of your argument, just pointing out one possible rationale for BT's behaviour.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 46

@designextremewrote:
Sorry, but this is not a valid reason whatsoever... Three year old hack on one domain hosted by a server on a different IP address - and the old website is offline too... ? If BT are using this data then they are even bigger idiots than I thought.

What is the exact message you are seeing?

There are over 180 domains hosted on that IP address, with almost the same amount of mail servers.

You need to contact your host to find out the issue, it is their problem.

0 Ratings
designextreme
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 46

"Contact your host"? Andy, perhaps don't contribute to this conversation. You've missed a few key facts...

1. No matter which domain is used, it returns the same error - I have extensive logs all consistently showing same error;
  2. The big one: "Steve" from postmaster@btinternet.com finally replied to say that there was a block on a range of IPs - not just mine.

Replies mentioning anything other than how to remove this massive overreach of a block; communicating with a hidden department that choses to reply to one email every six weeks... are not going to be helpful.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 46

Understand its frustrating and you feel let down but everybody here has given you the correct advice.

Your ISP is not blocked completely, just a class C subnet which has a bad reputation. Blocking IPs and dropping email based on IP reputation is a recommended practice and is enforced by all email providers. Your ISP unfortunately is a victim or perhaps a corroborator where they allow bad actors to use their service and is affecting a portion of its reputation. 

The correct solution is for you to contact your own provider and ask to move to another IP address. This is a completely reasonable thing to do.  BT have been fully transparent and revealed exactly why you are blocked so why dont you have have a go at talking to your provider - you probably can get this resolved in no time...

Is your provider based in the UK?

0 Ratings
NoSirItWasntMe
Contributor
Message 30 of 46

@designextreme 

Other companies had results last year from speaking to the Critical Path team (assuming they still handle the filtering).

See page 17 of this discussion from 2013-2018

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BTinternet-rejecting-all-our-emails/td-p/1062498/page/17

0 Ratings