cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malacath
Expert
Message 1 of 7

BT's poor email security and lack of 2 step verification.

My btinternet emails were hacked and recently had email from BT telling to to change my password

Problem is I am disgusted by the lack of security when accessing my account.

To start with I had forgotten my password and all I had to do to recover it was answer a simple security question.

Anyone can do this and it's absolutely disgusting that BT think this is adequate.

All other decent email services have 2 step verification.

But with BT yahoo there appears to be absolutely no way at all to use 2 step verification.

I'm really annoyed at this and feel let down by BT for their disgusting lack of security. 

Fist of all a couple of years ago I was informed by BT that BT customers would no longer be using yahoo and would be migrating to a different email service.

Why am I still using BT Yahoo? Why haven't I been migrated?

If I had been migrated as promised then I probably wouldn't have been hacked.

And also why is it possible to set up 2 step verification with a standard yahoo email but impossible to do it with a BT yahoo email?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT's poor email security and lack of 2 step verification.

You don't have to look too far on this forum to find that the migration to BT Mail was suspended a couple of years ago and there's been no word from BT about where it goes from here.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 3 of 7

@pottyperson wrote:

You don't have to look too far on this forum to find that the migration to BT Mail was suspended a couple of years ago and there's been no word from BT about where it goes from here.

Ok Thanks. Will look for those threads.

What about 2 step verification?

Is there really no way to enable this?

Am I looking in the wrong place?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

BT do not offer 2 step verification.

There is nothing to stop you from using another email service that does use 2 step verification. You just need to migrate your own email over to which ever email service you choose by informing all your contacts and places where you presently use your BT email address and then stop using it.

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Á

@gg30340 wrote:

There is nothing to stop you from using another email service that does use 2 step verification. You just need to migrate your own email over to which ever email service you choose by informing all your contacts and places where you presently use your BT email address and then stop using it.

Thanks for the reply.

I already do use other email accounts. BT is only a backup which is why I forgot the password.

I'm really annoyed that my account was hacked in the first place. With information like my name, address and phone number being stolen I feel betrayed by BT's pathetic security. The fact that it was so easy to recover my password annoys me the most.

Any other service would have required me to have a code sent to a phone or another email account to prove it's me. BT requires answering questions the hacker will already know. I did change the security question but I wasn't prompted to do so when recovering. I had to actually look for the option.

In the last couple of years i've had loads of phone calls from indian scammers about everything from accident claims to ppi. I'm ex directory, registered with tps and never allow my data to be used for marketing purposes. These scammers not only know my phone number but know my name too. They can only have got this information by hacking or other unsavoury means.

There appears to be no way to secure the account to prevent it from happening again so it's only a matter of time before more hackers get my personal details from BT yahoo.

0 Ratings
kitten15
Message 6 of 7

I agree I find it most disturbing, that BT tell us to change our password for security, but do not offer a more secure login. also if they are stating it is bt yahoo and yahoomail rewuires 2 step or offer two step verification, surely the bt e. mail should offer the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@Malacath wrote:

Á

@gg30340 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I already do use other email accounts. BT is only a backup which is why I forgot the password.

I'm really annoyed that my account was hacked in the first place. With information like my name, address and phone number being stolen I feel betrayed by BT's pathetic security. The fact that it was so easy to recover my password annoys me the most.

Any other service would have required me to have a code sent to a phone or another email account to prove it's me. BT requires answering questions the hacker will already know. I did change the security question but I wasn't prompted to do so when recovering. I had to actually look for the option.

In the last couple of years i've had loads of phone calls from indian scammers about everything from accident claims to ppi. I'm ex directory, registered with tps and never allow my data to be used for marketing purposes. These scammers not only know my phone number but know my name too. They can only have got this information by hacking or other unsavoury means.

There appears to be no way to secure the account to prevent it from happening again so it's only a matter of time before more hackers get my personal details from BT yahoo.

Hi.

As a matter of interest, can you say how you believe that your address and phone number were stolen and how you were hacked ?

Unless your phone number was an answer to a security question, it's not part of the details for email address data - nor is the full address (unless you have a unique post code).

Being ex-directory or tps registered doesn't actually do anything if your number is dialled at random or by other means. Of course, it is not necessarily the end user who's been "hacked" or compromised, this can happen to any of your contacts - and if they have your details in emails or other places then you are also compromised.

Security is not just a single end user, it is everyone you know as well - notwithstanding them (or you) not releasing any details via social media.

Recovery of password is badly straightforward if a "hacker" has those details - particularly as the massive Yahoo hack a few years back is anything to go by. I can't actually recall if Yahoo's ISP partners were associated with the hack or just vanilla Yahoo accounts - though many BT's accounts were compromised by a specific Yahoo hack a few years back also - before BT (possibly as a result) decided to move to Openwave, which the migration to is was suspended in Sep 2014.

0 Ratings