cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT states "We’re revamping BT Mail to make your experience better than ever"

ok, so if no email client can login (including windows 10 mail ) who needs an expert in one piece of software, it's obviously a BT problem!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Re: BT states "We’re revamping BT Mail to make your experience better than ever"

@Nightlight wrote:

LOL, you CANNOT use an e-mail client or at least I can't. No email client I've tried can login to my account!
Crappy webmail is the ONLY way I can send/receive emails.
FYI  I've  used a client for years.

Even though my server is setup as mail.btinternet.com webmail page says BTYahoo mail top left corner, clicking on that I get sent to BT's home page..sigh.

BT support has been lees than helpful!!

I've never had any difficulty using MS Outlook.

mail.btinternet.com is the mail server for both the BTMail and BTYahoo mail systems.

There are sometimes problems with synchronising passwords between the various platforms. Have you tried changing your password, waiting for an hour and then tried setting up the client?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 17

I have, many many times over the years!.  My experience was just to wait...it used to sort itself out but not now...weeks and weeks of having to use webmail.. gaaahhh 😞

Ohh, and I see a lot of folks now saying don't bother changing your password as it causes more problems than it solves 😞. I can believe it!!!

Here again is proof of BT's  server problems and their inability to fix them.

Why should we put up with this, why should we have to change passwords day in day out in a forlorn attempt to get the e-mail service we deserve.

I've sent complaints to BT, OFCOM and the BBC about this shambles...maybe, just maybe someone will take up our cause.

Thanks for the reply anyway mate 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 17

@Nightlightwrote:
I have, many times over the years!. I see most folks now saying don't bother changing your password as is causes more problems than it solves 😞

A lot of times that can be the case, and is the recommended solution to the issue of app/client access suddenly failing with webmail working.

The thing to be is completely methodical, and sometimes client detail provision isn't always obvious. Win 10 app is/was one of them. I've just tried setting up an account, and after just entering 3 items - the "system" worked fine.

However getting the correct details is naturally paramount :-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

and not letting apps/client auto configure. Always choose "other" or manual and not Yahoo or any other access type.

If access still can't be achieved (some apps can seem to baulk at the port setting for SSL security), then a password change is recommended. But after change, a wait of at least 20 minutes before trying app/client access to enable sync at BT's end. Webmail should work straight away however, but still best to wait before trying.

If more than one device is used, all auto-checking for email should be stopped and only one device checked before moving onto the next one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 15 of 17

Hi @Nightlight,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for posting.  I am very sorry to hear of the problems you are facing with your BT email.  I would like to help.

One of our email tech leads would like to work with you to find a solution.  I have dropped you a private message with instructions on how to contact me as I will required a few details from you.  Once we have your details we will get the ball moving.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 17

Thunderbird works fine on Windows 10 on my @btinternet address

Are you using the correct port settings ? (Incoming: 993, Outgoing: 465)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 17

like @V_Meldrew  I use thunderbird on W10 without any problems.  In addition I use GMail and also Bluemail on android without any problems  so obviously it does work but maybe your account has a problem and the help offered by @SeanD  may solve your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings