cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnnyT42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 53

Re: BT yahoo mail

For 20+ years I never had a problem logging in to BTyahoo via the Yahoo link. It only became a problem recently. So for 20+ years no one ever explained to use the other link...

So glad I am now with the much superior Gmail without any ties to BT, just need my broadband contract to end and I am off...

John.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 53

@JohnnyT42wrote:

For 20+ years I never had a problem logging in to BTyahoo via the Yahoo link. It only became a problem recently. So for 20+ years no one ever explained to use the other link...

So glad I am now with the much superior Gmail without any ties to BT, just need my broadband contract to end and I am off...

John.

Hi.

The Yahoo link has not been in use for 20+ years, BTYahoo only started around 15 years ago, and the Yahoo link was really never the way to login via webmail.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 53

@Andy_Nwrote:

@JohnnyT42wrote:

John.

Hi.

The Yahoo link has not been in use for 20+ years, BTYahoo only started around 15 years ago, and the Yahoo link was really never the way to login via webmail.

this link says BT and yahoo joined forces way back in Mar 2004. I think I had a yahoo email account before that as well but the BT ones might have started using this via yahoo with btinternet.com adresses. I've got webmail server emails going back as far as 2007 though, I stopped using outlook to access emails when I left BT in 2007 and winmail broke soo after that and the clients I tried then never really worked that well for me. 

Whilst I agree bt has probably always had a link via its own site that everyone should use, BT does not own that email service its just a partnership and run and controlled by yahoo. The linkages from yahoo have been there as far as I can remember. That said I still think BT treats email as more of a hindrance than a benefit sometimes. It takes months and months to get anything on yahoo fixed if at all but I'm not sure thats wholly BT's fault . There are many more problems with the BTYahoo emails than  this particular annoyance but this one is more elevated due to the problems it seems to be causing some people at present.

0 Ratings
JohnnyT42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 53

Appologies should be 14+ years, should have checked before I posted. Looking back in my archived local emails I have found my original email from BTyahoo noting my new account, dated 24th February 2004. I know I had BT email before this as it was linked to my company email so for some reason this appears to be when my account changed over to BTyahoo.

The email from BT quite clearly tells me to login via the BTyahoo homepage which is what I have done for 14+ years until the current change a week or so ago, which I state once again I was not informed about. A global email from BT to all BTyahoo customers informing them of the approved way, and now only way, to login to BTyahoo and acknowledging the changes instigated by Yahoo and or BT would have been appreciated and also expected. I pay for BTyahoo and it is quite clearly not acceptble to have such confusion for paying customers. Gmail is free and a much better service - a no brainer really.

I also remember a few years ago I received an email informing me that all BTyahoo accounts were being migrated to BT, this never happened although it does appear to have happened for some users. Another example of confusion.

I do hope no one is offended by my mistake of 6 years in my maths but it was off the top of my head and now confirmed to be 14+ years. I also note yet another post today starting a new thread about the same problem.

One problem when trying to log in to BTyahoo on redirection to the BT login page is the login form accepts my details and then proceeds to deliver an error message 'something went wrong' try again with a link. The second time it is succesful. This happens every time so the original redirection page does not appear to be the correct BT login page for BTyahoo customers but the 'try again' page is. Yet more confusion.

So I am not surprised by the amount of queries regarding this issue both on this forum and also via a Google search, as it appears many paying customers have not been informed of the correct login URL. But I am surprised by some people assuming we should have known this URL all along.

John.

unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 53

i'm just using yahoo.com if that doesn't work I use yahoo.co.uk. I suspect they are both ultimately the same but over the last few days I have only used Yahoo.com links.

I just click mail button/link on the right hand side and it gives me a list of my yahoo accounts. I select my BT one and it then pushes me on to the BT access screen with the email addresss is filled out. It does seem a bit jumpy/flicky and sometimesw loads twice I think but not under my direction I just add my pw and it logs in to yahoo mail, sorry BTYahoo mail.

I'm of the mind that the number of paths between the relevant BT and Yahoo servers has needed to be analysed and sorted out for years as it's always somewhat temperamental depending on what servers are live - I think - I'm just guessing based on the way it drops out so much especially when switching into the managament screen/s. Its just something that I personally have lived with for as long as I can remember having tried to get it sorted a number of times without success.

Recently the Yahoo calendar stopped working back in Feb for me and has only recently come back on stream there are some very peculiar things still happening with it but it seems to be back on the air mostly. I tried googles calendar but the reminders were a lot more temperamental i just switched back to yahoo after it was brought back on stream. My thanks to DanielS for poking the yahoo teams on this one - assuming of course it was something he did.

unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 53

@northwestwrote:

Tried linking my yahoo login to bt id horrendous. In the end I decided to use the same password for both accounts it's working but not ideal is it?

That was my gripe when I had favorited my emails back in feb/mar. Daniel very kindly unlinked them as I too was not comfortable with a single password for BTID and BTYahoo mail. Yahoo is not the most secure system on the web. Sadly whilst Daniel did his best my whole BT access is a little bit topsy turvy but as my eMail was the most important thing to me I reluctantly left be whilst it was still working. I have to agree though the favorite system is a nice idea but the resultant systems tied to gether by identical passwords is not.

0 Ratings
northwest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 53

Oh well I spoke too soon. Now when I and my partner login we both get different mail pages. I get what I suspect is BT yahoo mail and he gets yahoo mail! Phoned BT they said" he had to create a BT ID  as his email address is not on record"!   I don't know how been using it for over 10 years.

0 Ratings
northwest
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 53

Can anybody help me this situation or explain it? After phoning BT and explaining the problem I took their advice. I changed my partners sub email address to an affiliate one. However when we both login we get different styles of home page. ie His looks like an older one or perhaps it's yahoo's current because when he logs out he gets directed to yahoo uk & ireland login page! Cheers ps I am allowed to upload pictures to show what I mean.

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 39 of 53

The more this problem continues the more frustrated and annoyed I get!

A question to those of you probably more experienced in the use of mail via BT ....

I am attached to BTYahoo Mail (the essence of this thread) is there any advantage, or indeed are there likely to be less problems if I transferred to BT Premium Mail (by calling 0808 100 6778) 

Is BT Premium Mail completely divorced from Yahoo?

I am a BT Broadband Customer and BT Premium Mail would seem to be free as such.

My thanks in anticipation to anyone who advises.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 53

BT Premium mail is not a different product, it is just the name given to the standalone email service in the absence of a BT Broadband contract. Even if you could transfer (which you probably can't if you have BT broadband) the only difference would be that your wallet would be £7.50 a month lighter.

Premium is a misnomer, I'm surprised the ASA haven't taken it up with BT.

0 Ratings