cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 53

Re: BT yahoo mail

Such are the problems when trying to use a program for viewing websites (a browser) to collect email rather than the proper tool for the job, a mail client.

Webmail is like trying to eat soup with a fork instead of a spoon, can be done but very messy and inefficient.

unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 53

I feel your pain. I have more than 2 email adresses that I now use most one is tied to BTId and is now my master. The one that I use most is my yahoo one (I know they are both yahoo but I tend only to look at the BTID one when bills are arrivng etc.

What I will say is that sometimes I have mine and my wofes up occationally but I use Incognito mode to effect that method and it used to work I haven't tried it recently since the resnt changes but I think it will still work as the main one and the incognito should be effetively isolated by their cookies and other internal variables these system use.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 53

Oh licquorice you must have more patience with us Luddites ;-). My defence is that I can access this stuff from all over the world using my browser and to fair to yahoo it does have a lot of functionality that I use day to day as well. That said I know what you mean. I'm not sure about your inefficient comment. since I left the real world or work i've used browser's rather than clients as they all have their different foibles and I needed tools i don't have to keep relearning. Thanks for your suggestions though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 53

@unwina wrote:

This is even more pronounced now that the email cannot be made sticky, well not on my Chrome browser on my desktop anyway. This means that it logs out everytime I return to it if I had to keep putting in the email adress as well as the p/w it would drive me insane. I'd also probably get RS as a result of all the additional typing. 

Chrome can save your log on details and passwords if you wish to do that. It means that all you need to do is click in the log on box and your log on details and password(blanked out)  will be shown. Obviously this is not recommended if you share your computer but see this link about how to do it and manage the passwords.

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Having said that, what licquorice has said about using an email client is by far the best way to access your email.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 53

Oops, I feel theme coming on. I never save passwords in my browser, just the UID for these longwindes things. Ok thats a little bit insecure too I know and when I go out for more than a day I use tools to make sure that I'm not inadvertently storing any passwords.

I have Chrome's save passwords set to always off, its annoying how sometimes that keeps coming back on sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 53

@unwina wrote:

Oh licquorice you must have more patience with us Luddites ;-). My defence is that I can access this stuff from all over the world using my browser and to fair to yahoo it does have a lot of functionality that I use day to day as well. That said I know what you mean. I'm not sure about your inefficient comment. since I left the real world or work i've used browser's rather than clients as they all have their different foibles and I needed tools i don't have to keep relearning. Thanks for your suggestions though.

You can still collect your mail from all over the world, either by using the the mail client on your phone/laptop or using a web browser when not at home. Mail client and webmail are not mutually exclusive.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 53

I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I always found it difficult to store things in local places I just gave up and store them on the webbrowser (Server). As i say my access on both tab and phone struggles to see that which I have stored on the web end in saved folders unless its less than 6 months old. Too painful so i gave up trying this method. Perhaps things have changed recently and I should try again but to be honest webbrowser works for me and I guess client works for you and that may be the best place to leave this from my perspective.

Loving the debate though.

Time is precious and my investments keep me busy enough as it is without having to mess arround in the detail of emails.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 53

IMAP, everything is stored on the server and accessible and synced between as many devices as you care to use, including the dreaded webmail. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 53

@licquoricewrote:

IMAP, everything is stored on the server and accessible and synced between as many devices as you care to use, including the dreaded webmail. Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy cheers

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 20 of 53

With a lot of experimentation I seem to have found a compromise by going to https://home.bt.com/

and accessing email there.

Just had to make sure I was logged out of MyBT then it seemed to let me log into either of my btemail addresses

Still say - as someone said earlier - if the engine isn't broke why try to mend it.

The login via Yahoo was fine - why change it unless for some vindictive commercial reason.

I still think the whole thing has been done by software writers who have absolutely no experience of actually using the software itself.

0 Ratings