Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrew_langdon
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

BTID issue / compromised

Rather strange issue but very alarming.

I received an email last week saying that a new BTID has been registered and thought nothing of it as I hadn’t requested it so ignored it. A couple of days later I started receiving email and sign ups to sites using that email address. Curious I looked into it further.

My BTID address is a 3rd party email address but under that a number of btinternet email addresses are held. One of those btinternet addresses used to be my BTID but due to the carnage that was the migration from yahoo I changed the BTID to a 3rd party address. This btinternet account is the one I received a notification of for a new BTID on.

Very easy to see, go to BTID login page and click on forgotten password and you see two accounts listed - BTID and email. When you click on them, each has a different mobile listed for notification. Not great but then I tried resetting the password to the other BTID and it does that but it wipes out my email address password so my phone and Mac stops sending and receiving. Incidentally resetting doesn’t allow me access because it may be that I haven’t confirmed the address.

BT Haven’t been much help so despite reporting it on Tuesday nothing is done. Anyone had something similar with one of their email addresses seemingly being allowed to be registered as another persons BTID? Any advice on who to speak to in BT to get it sorted? I’m concerned that my email address is vulnerable as someone else has the ability to indirectly reset my password.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: BTID issue / compromised

Hi @andrew_langdon

I have found that the online billing team are the best ones for sorting out issues with BT ID's, they can check and amend details logged against them . Its certainly worth trying

BT Online Billing & Accounts Team

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

Hi.

To me this actually sounds like someone thinks they "own" and email address and started setting up their accesses and sign-ups.

Naturally as you get the emails, hence know the password, the other person will not know it. I don't necessarily believe someone else can reset the password - if they could, then surely they would have done so already.

They are probably wondering why they can't access the account - and may be contacting the helpdesk. It's at that point an issue could arise, as the helpdesk are useless and could start resetting the password for the "other" user.

To me this sounds like BT are not using a confirmed opt-in system for various things - which is against all recognised opt-in.

There could actually be GDPR implications, extremely serious.

This needs a moderator intervention to get this mess corrected.

0 Ratings
andrew_langdon
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

BT havent been much help at all.

Regarding the email account, when i tried to reset the BTID attached to my sub account it wiped out the password on that email so in theory if they try and reset the account password they could have access.....and potentially compromise my email and any websites or services which use that.

Tried the support link as provided above and the first person ignored me for i think 5 mins.  The second person passed me to another team who listened then offered a suggestion and immediatly closed the session ignoring the comments I made about having already tried BT Security.  My call to BT security lasted 2 minutes and they said go elsewhere.  The second engineer also said speak to EE (helpfully not proividing any numbers or details) so I called their number and they werent able to help.

As for GDPR - i dont think BT are paying much attention to it.  They confirmed the account is used by another individual in a city in Wales - they confirmed the city to me which is a breach in itself.  They also havent bothered to do anything to protect me and my account.  I'm not sure what or who to turn to.  I suppose I could raise a complaint but what I want is someone at BT to own this problem of their creation from start to finish but they seem content to push me around and make me doing the running. Perhaps I think I am going to have to see whether the ICO will look into it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

What have EE got to do with this?

Anyway, like I said - a moderator assistance is required. Do not contact BT in any other way.

0 Ratings
andrew_langdon
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Cheers, will wait and see if one can help.

Just to explain the EE angle according to BT is apparently the other person with EE took out BTSport and this created the BTID.....EE don’t think so.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Hi @andrew_langdon

Thanks for trying the chat link, it's normally the first port of call for trying to sort BT ID's out. Clearly they didn't seem to help very much, so I have asked the moderation team to come and have a chat. They are fairly busy, but they will post on this thread asking you to contact them via a private link. 

Please keep checking back.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Hi @andrew_langdon Sorry that your email address has been used in error to set up another BTID.

You are correct in that they cannot change the password for your email account. We will be happy to look into what has gone wrong here and help get it corrected if you send us your details. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
andrew_langdon
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Thanks John - submitted my question.
0 Ratings