Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 28

Re: BTInternet spam filter issue

@Eccleswrote:

Have to agree with others. Before joining BT I was with Virgin but no access at new house so BT it is. But with VM I used a mail program which allowed me to make some filter decisions about spam. It seems that I cannot do this with BT which is an absolute feckin nuisance because BT's system dumps some emails that I want to see and are important. So as soon as my contract expires it's good bye BT, your BB is too slow anyway.

You can use a mail program with BTinternet email. What mail program did you use with VM?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 28

I'm also having problems with BT spam. I am not getting any. I normally receive around 15 spam email a day some that I need to read and check. I haven't received a spam email for around 3 weeks. They aren't even going in my in box.  BT told me this is a known problem but didn't say if a fix was on its way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 28

If you see the earlier posts you will realise that this is happening because BT are migrating everyone to their new/or revived BT mail program (which looks the same as Yahoo), and they publicly announced this recently.  Unfortunately this has a fault and they start randomly filtering emails (not just spam) into a spam folder on the webmail site, and they even have admitted that it is a fault.   So it may be that they are filtering out some of your non spam messages as spam as well.  Their spam filter is faulty and you cannot turn it off (with Yahoo you could).   They need to update their software, but this is taking some time.  Have a look at this spam folder on your webmail site. 

If you are using POP3 they will only forward messages that they allow into your inbox and not those that they improperly filter as spam.  I know, it is outrageous.  I suggest that you register a formal complaint to BT because they have no authority to choose what is your spam and what is proper emails - spam is not malware etc. it is in the view of the recipient whether or not they wish to see it. 

If you find the missing emails in spam you can of course set up rules that allow certain email domains to avoid being designated as spam.  This is of course quite tedious, but is not a full fix because you don't know what they are going to suddenly start deciding is spam in the future (actually I don't think that they know either.)

There is a workaround if you think long and hard you may come up with it.  I object to using a workaround because BT need to fix their fault. I don't use social media but if you do use it, then you are free to publish the fact that the BT email system is faulty.  

By the way, BT have another email fault where they reject genuine emails back to senders irregardless of your settings because they designate them as spam even if they are not.  I think that this is different from your fault, and your senders should let you know if they see this.   

Good luck

Highlighted
Message 14 of 28

I'm afraid to say It doesn't matter what email program you use, because the fault is on the webmail handler before email is downloaded.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 28

If I may correct you. The only spam filtering you could turn off with BTYahoo was the 'soft' spam that was sent to the spam folder, the 'hard' spam never left the BT server so didn't arrive in any folder.

Highlighted
Message 16 of 28

Goodness you do keep nagging and missing points.  

In my post above I also explained about their other server email spam rejections, but as I explained in that case your senders get a failed message and so they can tell you about it - that is different than the subject of this thread, and the people are asking about the problem with the webmail spam filter. 

There is actually no 'soft' or 'hard' spam filters  - they are just different faults with different effects. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 28

And you keep making incorrect statements.

We all agree the BT email spam filtering can be over aggressive.

The spam that was/is sent to the spam box is mail that the spam filter is not certain about so gives the customer a chance to view it, 'soft' spam. The vast majority of spam is filtered at source, 'hard' spam. Unfortunately the spam filters get it wrong, sometimes genuine mail gets classified as either 'soft' spam and gets to the webmail or IMAP spam box or as 'hard' spam and doesn't get delivered at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 28

Yes that was naughty of me - you bite too easily, and I admit to having a bit of fun. 

Let us let the people who are concerned about their real problem on this thread stay with their problem
and not confuse them with unrelated drivel

Apologies for my prompt

That's all from me.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 28

@faultyemailSPAMfilte wrote:

Yes that was naughty of me - you bite too easily, and I admit to having a bit of fun. 

Let us let the people who are concerned about their real problem on this thread stay with their problem
and not confuse them with unrelated drivel

Apologies for my prompt

That's all from me.  

... and yet again you contribute nothing to a thread except to say you have a secret work around!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 28

Hi Everyone,

Please keep it friendly thanks.

0 Ratings