cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
axeblokie
Message 1 of 7

BTInternet spam filter issue

Hi Guys,

Hopefully, someone here will be able to point me in the right direction, it seems getting through to anybody in BT is near impossible if you're not a direct customer.

we have a customer who is having difficulty contacting 2 different BTInternet.com e-mail addresses, just one particular person in the company keeps being identified as Spam whenever she sends.

She tried emailing both this morning, both messages were identified as Spam, yet others in the company are able to e-mail them successfully, with the same message.

The messages are going via Barracuda spam filter set up as a smart host, and repeatedly gets the following error on the NDR.

Rejected (213.120.69.2:25:554 Message rejected on 2019/11/21 10:04:16 GMT, policy (3.2.2.1) ID (5DC578C4029BFD5C) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM)

Is anybody able to help?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: BTInternet spam filter issue

Hi, welcome to the forums.

As a simple check, and if it's not going to be weird, can the user send a simple email to one of the recipients, but not to include any URLs or pictures (e.g. that might be company branding). Of course, that could be tricky if your system mail servers add that during the sending process.

In other words a text only email.

As an aside, how many emails are being sent to the recipients weekly etc?

0 Ratings
axeblokie
Message 3 of 7

Hi Andy_N,

Thanks for the response 🙂

I've asked the end-user to try a plain text e-mail, I've not seen an attempt go through the Barracuda yet.

In the last week, there have been only 13 outbound messages destined for @btinternet addresses and a 104 since the 29th October when we switched them to outbound filtering.

Most of these have come from other users inside my client's company and been delivered, however, this one user's e-mail are all rejected bar one.

Could it be that the recipients have simply accidentally marked her e-mail as Spam and this has propagated through the BT Spam filter?

0 Ratings
axeblokie
Message 4 of 7

Hi Andy_N

Apologies for the delay, the customer has finally done as requested and sent a plain text e-mail.

This went through successfully, no BT NDR's, no errors.

Something being blocked in the HTML signature perhaps?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Hi @axeblokie,

Welcome back to the Community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear that one of your customers is having problems sending emails to some BTInternet.com email address.

Can you raise this with postmaster@btinternet.com so they can look into this for you?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@axeblokiewrote:

Hi Andy_N

Apologies for the delay, the customer has finally done as requested and sent a plain text e-mail.

This went through successfully, no BT NDR's, no errors.

Something being blocked in the HTML signature perhaps?

Unfortunately that doesn't prove anything, since if they tried again with the usual signature, or embeded links - it might work. However, at least that email did get through.

BT's anti-spam system is in my view way over aggressive, and can seemingly block innocent things - including emails with html signatures containing links. Naturally it's a secret how this is achieved, but it does seem to be far more restrictive than a lot of other ISPs or better heuristics used by companies like Google.

In my view, the postmaster will not help. I don't see them whitelisting single entries - particularly when it only affects one recipient. If could, of course, be the recipient marking these emails as spam - and the system learning it. But that implies the recipient shouldn't be getting the email. In which case, the error is with the sender completely.

0 Ratings
MMarques
Message 7 of 7

Hello @Matt-S.
Sorry to ask, however, I have been trying to contact the Postmaster and, although I understand that this period is always complicated due to "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday", I have had no reply from them. Do you know if the backlog they have is not allowing them to get back to me?
Thanks,
MMarques
0 Ratings