cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbcco
Beginner
Message 21 of 28

Re: BTInternet spam filter issue

Since getting switched from BT Yahoo! spam filtering has got worse for me (and it wasn't very helpful before, either).  Some emails get blocked entirely - sometimes the sender gets a bounce notification, but not always (as far as I can tell).  A lot of genuine stuff ends up in the spam folder - HMRC, Companies House, BT (yes, even email from BT confirming my renewed broadband contract were filtered as spam).  Fortunately, my normal email program (Apple Mail) shows the spam box easily enough - though I get no info on the bounced ones.  Even mail sent between my btinternet.com account and my wife's btinternet.com account gets filtered as spam (no, we're still talking to each other but we often cc each other in emails).

My business email, which has been forwarded from a domain I've owned for around 20 years, started getting bounced last year (some came through as spam, and others normally); I initially put it down to BT stopping forwarded emails and started working through senders, advising them to use my direct btinternet.com address - but that hasn't fixed anything as the email still get's bounced or spammed, seemingly at random.

I could set up my own mail server (and, if I wasn't retiring and in the process of winding up my business, I'd have to do that as I'd be losing business by now) - I could follow the crown and switch to gmail, I suppose, but one reason for renewing my BT broadband contract a while back was to keep an email system that has been working well for over 20 years.  I could have switched my phone and broadband to Vodafone and saved over a third on my monthly bill if I knew the email was going downhill - which it is as the system seems to get worse at it goes on...

0 Ratings
faultyemailSPAMfilte
Contributor
Message 22 of 28

Hello sbcco

I genuinely sympathise and am replying because I can see the difficulty that BT has created for you.    If you read some of my earlier posts you may understand the depth of the problem which is twofold.  

1 The one where emails sent to you are blocked completely is a BT fault where they are independently deciding that the sender is sending SPAM and they block these at the server but also send a message back to the sender.  If the sender reads the email notifying rejects they can let you know and send the information some other way. 

2. The other most annoying fault is that they randomly decide to put some of your genuine emails into the SPAM folder in your web based account, and you will not see these in your inbox.  Yes they are genuine (HMRC etc.) and BT knows they have a fault and don't seem to care.  If you look at your web based email account (log on to your BT.com account and select email) you can find all these easily in your SPAM folder.  This is no real help.  

There is a solution.  BT expect you to make certain rules for domain senders to be redirected to your inbox and they then never appear as SPAM.  However, this is not a complete solution because you don't know what domains now or in the future are going to send you a message.  

You need to set up a rule to divert all messages to your inbox - you have to think very hard to come up with the solution - what is common to all emails. 

The most important point is that you need to be another person that makes a formal complaint to BT.  Even an MP has had this problem. Don't just call the help centre etc.,  because those guys in India cannot help and just waste your time. Send a communication to BT - find this on the BT.Com website. 

God luck

0 Ratings
sbcco
Beginner
Message 23 of 28

Thanks. Going to spam box isn't a problem as they still come through - it's the fact that clear genuine emails go there that is surprising. It's the blocked ones that cause the problem. I've also noticed that some other email servers are now blocking or marking btinternet email as spam - and some users aren't so easily noticing. Will try a formal complaint. And it might take God luck to get it sorted!
0 Ratings
CarolynB
Beginner
Message 24 of 28

Just to add to this I am experiencing the same problem. I am simply not receiving legitimate e-mails. I have had to set up a new e-mail address with another provider to allow me to get e-mails. Annoying, as I have been a BT customer for years. I have e-mailed the Post Master but not holding my breath for any legitimate reply. I know I will get the stock, change this and that, put them in your safe sender list etc etc. I always check my spam folder as I do choose to get some sent to that folder. But nothing has appeared in there for months. Important things like holiday bookings, online payments simply don't come through.

0 Ratings
faultyemailSPAMfilte
Contributor
Message 25 of 28

Hello CarolynB

I sympathise as you are just another BT customer getting poorly treated.  Please do continue to complain. but do it also by registering a formal complaint to BT.com where they have a complaint tracking process and if enough people raise the issue it is hoped that BT will finally implement a software change to allow customers to decide to turn off SPAM filtering.  Some email related call handlers have admitted to me that they know it is a real fault but they don't have the power to stop it which is why you need to take it higher.   It is an example of such a poor quality of service where the BT SPAM filter works so incorrectly. 

I want to help you solve your particular misery caused by this.  If you have read previous posts you will be aware that there is a fix for you, but I didn't want to make it public because I don't want BT to stop us using the fix.  (There is always the suspicion that BT are doing it intentionally because the want to force you to use their online web services to read your emails.  )

Here is the fix.  Set up a rule that diverts all emails to the inbox.  Think hard about the rule and make it a rule that is common to all email addresses. 

I hope this helps you, and in return please do put in your BT.com complaint. 

0 Ratings
CarolynB
Beginner
Message 26 of 28

Thanks for your reply. I did e-mail that Postmaster but haven't heard anything. I don't understand the fix. Nothing goes into my spam box at all so I can't redirect anything there's nothing there !! I have just created a new Yahoo e-mail with Sky and changed various accounts to that e-mail address. Surprisingly I am now receiving a lot more e-mails !
Thanks for taking the time to reply I will also complain
0 Ratings
faultyemailSPAMfilte
Contributor
Message 27 of 28

Hello Carolyn B

Pleased to see that you are managing to resolve your BT email issue.

This comment may not be appropriate now, but from your last post I had a thought that the Spam folder you may be looking at was one on an email application that you normally use to direct and read emails - perhaps on a laptop, tablet etc..  The SPAM folder I was referring to is the one on the BT Webmail handler - this is the upper level service provider handler which is on the internet. You can open it by logging onto BT.com and selecting email, and you will see a Spam folder which is where they incorrectly filter genuine emails.  The inbox folder on this webmail handler is the only one that they allow email to be forwarded.  If you set up the correct rule this disables their faulty filtering. 

If you see a lot of emails in this webmail Spam folder you can just move them to the inbox and they will be forwarded to you. 

I apologise in advance of perhaps not understanding your actual situation. 

0 Ratings
CarolynB
Beginner
Message 28 of 28

Hello,

Yes I am aware and do log onto the e-mail on the Internet not just via apps. Even on there the spam folder is empty and I mean empty. I use to get 5 plus e-mails a day in there. Its not just that e-mails the I would get in my main folder never arrive either. Far from resolved if I have  had to create an e-mail with another company 😳

I have now complained. But as far as I can gather reading others posts its a software update that's caused the issues.

0 Ratings