cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
He-Man
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BTYahoo IMAP - Cannot receive mail

I have my BT email setup to use IMAP in Outlook 2007. I can send fine, but when I click on send/receive, it checks for messages, but nothing comes in.

I have logged in to www.btyahoo.com and can see there are 17 emails waiting to be read, including some test ones I have sent from Outlook.

I get no error messages, it literally just checks for mail, but doesn't retrieve them.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BTYahoo IMAP - Cannot receive mail

Not sure about Outlook, but on Thunderbird you have to tell it which folders to synchronise.

It may be worth comparing your settings with Thunderbird.

Using Thunderbird e-mail client

0 Ratings
He-Man
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for that, all my settings appear the same as those in the screenshots of Thunderbird.

I do have a list of folders down the left on Outlook, and these have all synchronised with btyahoo previously (e.g if I move an email into a different folder on webmail, when I open Outlook, it is replicated in there).

I have also been able to receive email fine for almost a year now using IMAP, it has only stopped working last week, but I don't understand why there is no error message being produced.

Surely if it's checking for new email on imap.mail.yahoo.com using port 993 and with SSL on, it should either retrieve them, or give an error as to why it hasn't?

I am puzzled.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Maybe something within Outlook has got corrupted, one of the indexes possibly?

You could try Thunderbird, as there is nothing to stop you having more than one e-mail client.

At least it would prove whether Outlook is at fault.

He-Man
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Keith, I will certainly give that a try. If it works though, it looks like it could be one of those problems that bugs me forever, as I hate not being able to fix something Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
He-Man
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

As this PC already has Windows Live Mail on it, I decided to try the account in there. This time, I set it up as a POP3 account instead to see what happens.

This can also send, but doesn't receive, and gives an error 0x80004005.

I have searched online for this error, but nothing suggested is relevant/works.

I'm about to try Thunderbird now via IMAP to see how it goes.

If I do set this up as IMAP on Thunderbird, is it ok to just delete the IMAP account again? It won't remove all my emails from BTYahoo aswell?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Try Port 995 for incoming.

0 Ratings
NJM
Message 8 of 8

Hi

I spoke to BT Yahoo recently with the same question and they tell me with the new upgrade of yahoo we will have IMAP which then will sync properly with Blackberry and the like.

This is supposed to happen this month being August.

Nick

0 Ratings