Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 32

Re: BTYahoo Webmail keeps logging me out even in the middle of writing an email

Go to solution

What fails?

Its not 20 minutes on BT Mail or BT Yahoo Mail just inactivity on MyBT.

BT Yahoo Mail logs you out after 2 hours whether you are using or not from the time you logged in. This is apparently being increased.

BT Mail logs you out after 2 hours only if you have been inactive, its 24 hours hard timeout.

So on BT Yahoo mail, if you are getting logged out while writing an email, its really unfortunate you were caught at the 2 hour mark, but if this is being increased, you should not have this issue.

0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

well thanks for that, BT don't seem to know themselves what's going wrong, it says different on their website and I keep getting different 'support' messages, all I know is they have totally messed up Yahoo e-mail since they took it over in UK

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

@mm2 wrote:

well thanks for that, BT don't seem to know themselves what's going wrong, it says different on their website and I keep getting different 'support' messages, all I know is they have totally messed up Yahoo e-mail since they took it over in UK

BT never took over Yahoo in the UK. BT have some of their email accounts using the Yahoo email system that is supplied by Yahoo.

0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

well that may be true, but when I've tried to get help from Yahoo they tell me BT are responsible for Yahoo mail accounts in the UK and that I have to get help from BT

which results in contradictory statements as above!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution

No that is wrong. BT are responsible only for BTYahoo email accounts and not for Yahoo email accounts.

0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

then clearly Yahoo know as much about their own product as BT does about theirs, either way it's not good enough and while it used to be my primary e-mail account I am migrating elsewhere, my old friends all know to use a different e-mail provider and that's where the rest is going, it just takes too long having to keep logging in and getting cut off

0 Ratings
susanem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

Hi all,

I started this thread wondering what was happening to my email which kept logging me out. I have read all of the replies (and I thank you all for your responses) but it seems like there is no solution.

I have the same problem whether I use my laptop or my partner's desktop. He also uses BTYahoo mail and has the same problem with his account.

The 2 hour log out from log in time does not apply to me as I can log in and 10 mins later get logged out and I can still get logged out again within a short time. If I could stay logged in for 2 hours it wouldn't be so bad.

I hope BTYahoo get this sorted out soon. I have tried logging in through Yahoo and the same thing happen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

There is a perfectly good solution but for some bizarre reason people don't want to employ it. Email was never intended to be accessed via a web browser (the clue is in the name WEB browser), so use the right tool for the job, a mail client. I really don't understand the reluctance to change to a far superior method.

New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

@susanemwrote:

Hi all,

I started this thread wondering what was happening to my email which kept logging me out. I have read all of the replies (and I thank you all for your responses) but it seems like there is no solution.

I have the same problem whether I use my laptop or my partner's desktop. He also uses BTYahoo mail and has the same problem with his account.

The 2 hour log out from log in time does not apply to me as I can log in and 10 mins later get logged out and I can still get logged out again within a short time. If I could stay logged in for 2 hours it wouldn't be so bad.

I hope BTYahoo get this sorted out soon. I have tried logging in through Yahoo and the same thing happen.

Do you log into webmail via bt.com/email and a @btinternet.com address?

Are you sure it logs you out in 10 minutes? It should be easy to test this, if you start a timer as soon as you login, and then not close the browser, your webmail should still work till the 2 hour mark. Could you please do this and post back as mine has been consistent and tested with 3 accounts.

If you are getting logged out sooner than 2 hours, whats the message when it logs you out?

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

There is a perfectly good solution but for some bizarre reason people don't want to employ it. Email was never intended to be accessed via a web browser (the clue is in the name WEB browser), so use the right tool for the job, a mail client. I really don't understand the reluctance to change to a far superior method.

You wouldn't let it lie, Smiley Happy 

Whilst you may be correct @licquorice, although I have a different opinion as you well know, I don't personally always have access to that particular approach when I am out of the office or worse at a relatives who does not have that loaded on their machine but are happy to allow me to look at my eMail.

I do have that approach on my wifes tab but since it absolutely refuses to work right I just switch to the web version and lo it works, well apart from the most recent changes that is.  

I have used said tools you refer to and found them all having particular issues including using up more space than I would like them to whcih is the worst. That said this conversation clearly will not fix the issue for people who would like them to fix it. BT have said they are on the case so perhaps we should let them get on with it.

Edit: I thought it was the BT people but its not completely clear who is on the case after all. Bt will probably not be fixing this directly rather it will be poked back to yahoo perhpas as its their product essentially with a BT badge on it - I think!.

0 Ratings