Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
susanem
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 32

BTYahoo Webmail keeps logging me out even in the middle of writing an email

Go to solution

Since an update from BTYahoo Webmail a couple of months ago, I keep getting logged out of my email. I can understand why this change has been brought in but surely we as consumers should be given the choice. I cannot find any pattern to the length of time that I stay logged in for. The most annoying is that I frequently get logged out in the middle of writing or reading an email i.e. not even when the email account is not being used! I have tried various log-in  pages but they all go to the same page now whereas I used to have one that looked different - the pages now all have the same format with the cookie acknowledgement on.

Can anyone suggest a way around this logging out? It is most annoying.

If anyone from BT is on this forum - could we not be given the option to stay logged in or not?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: BTYahoo Webmail keeps logging me out even in the middle of writing an email

Go to solution

yeah, I'm having to keep saving my email text in notepad (keep it as simple as possible) its really frustrating, sadly I reported on this a little while ago and no one seemed that interested. It will be affecting everyone who uses the web interface. I've tried reloading the page every now and then but I think its a more technical mismatch issue that will need someone who knows how this mishmash of platforms works.

My wife has suggested we move to another system but we are quite locked into this one having been here for a number fo years. If this goes on much longer I think the only way to get someone to sit up and notice will be to bother the CEO's office.

Using offline tablet and phone to reaad emails is also problematic as well but thats  a whole different issue.

Maybe someone who has capability to notify the BT teams on here will take pity on us. We will not be the only ones as its definitely a system issue that was bodged incorrectly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

@susanem wrote:

Can anyone suggest a way around this logging out? It is most annoying.

As I'm sure everybody is tired of me saying, the simplest way around it is to not use webmail at all, but use a dedicated mail client.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

I tried that with a number of products and somedays I can't even get the mail to show up at all. At least the web version does appear to work better than it did but someone has clearly made a mistake in the timers or methods used to effect the timers. Offline system not really an acceptable solution for me either especially as I can't even see some of the email bodies for at least an hour or two some days on my phones or tabs whcih are all IMAp enabled My wife said this started happening a month or two back and we just have to be patient! (She had her tongure firmly planted in her cheek as she said that).

All my offline tools are setup right but I'm sure you are just lucky that it does not affect you  at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

@unwina wrote:

All my offline tools are setup right but I'm sure you are just lucky that it does not affect you  at all.

... or is it that you are just unlucky that it affects you.

mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

this annoying signing out started happening about a couple of months ago to me too, I got fobbed off with the standard 'for your security' excuse, this is what BT's website says:

BT sign out.JPG

however, in the last 2 days I have written complex messages and when I try to send, the mail log-in page comes up and the message is lost, so it is clearly not happening when I've been 'inactive' for 20 mins, it happens at random times and even when I am actually actively composing a message

reported yesterday to BT and got this fatuous reply:

I am really sorry for the inconvenienced you had to face. However the issue you have reported that after every 20 minutes the email page is logging out, it cannot be fixed as this is the new features which has been applied for the customers security.

are they really saying the page logs out every 20 minutes regardless?  are they saying it's intentional that if the 20 minute period comes round it's meant to log out even if I'm in the middle of writing a message?  or are they just missing the point and trotting out the party line?  will anyone in BT Support ever learn to write correct English?

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

If you are on BT Yahoo Mail - there is no inactivity timeout currently, just a hard cut-off at 2 hours regardless of activity. The mods on another thread have acknowledged this as bad experience and have said this is being increased in the next few weeks.

The 20 minutes is for MyBT only.

0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution
thanks for that, yes I have a legacy BT Yahoo account, how do you know it's 2 hours for e-mail? really annoying, I have to keep saving drafts every 5 mins now in case it cuts out on 'send'
0 Ratings
mm2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

update:  just received from BT Support, after they told me it was 'for my security' and I wouldn't accept that:

We are aware of this malfunction. We have already sent the issue that the Email is getting logged out in the midst of sending or writing Email.

Our developer`s team is working on the fault and will be resolved as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have an exact or estimated date of when this is going to get completed.

0 Ratings
unwina
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

Sadly this is bad design and not a fault as such. They have not really checked for all scenarios, not even a reload of the screen will stop it from timing out and in my experience its not always 20 mins either. The old system used to save to the system every few minutes and if you got logged out or moved away for a few minutes then at least it was in the drafts at the moment its not even possible to get the draft save to work.

Please don't suggest using an offline method its not apropriate for me or helpful to be honest. 

Also whoever said it was ok on yahoo thats not the case as i've tried both entry points and it fails regardless.

0 Ratings