Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IanStev01
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

BTYahoo email

Go to solution

Following the BTYahoo email outage, the service appears to be restored but with evidently many emails missing. Is restore work still ongoing or is it confirmed that many emails are lost, cannot be retrieved?

25 REPLIES 25
gallivant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 26

Re: BTYahoo email

Go to solution

The BT Yahoo email server appears to have been restored around 2 pm but we cannot view, see or access any emails between the period/time-frame of 06:47am and 14:00 pm.

As you mentioned - can BT Yahoo please indicate if these will eventually turn-up in the near future?

On the positive side - this outage appears to have corrected BT Yahoo Calendar bit don't want to speak too soon as this has happened before and then Calendar has gone all Pete Tong a few days later.

0 Ratings
JMB
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Why does BT stick with Yahoo?

It is notoriously unreliable, because of that I never use BT for important mail.  It only gets used as a backup system, usually because mail from you usual server has bounced because flagged incorrectly as SPAM.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
jo_online
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

I'm still getting emails from yesterday trickling through, but I've no idea how many are still missing.

There's a new issue today.  I went to bed last night with email working normally and downloading to my POP3 desktop client (Thunderbird).  Get up this morning to find webmail on Yahoo! is available but unable to download to desktop - I receive error messaage:  "Sending of username did not succeed. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: [SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later. "  Sigh.

0 Ratings
mfc_andy_p
Beginner
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

I've had no emails through from the downtime period, so pleased to read someone mention they are or were trickling through.

I've been keeping an eye on the Yahoo twitter feed where the response continues to state missing emails will feed through once servers catch up but we're now over 24 hours and the longer it goes the more concerned you become that those emails will never arrive.

We'll see...

0 Ratings
IanStev01
Beginner
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

I've now had several messages coming through that were evidently sent yesterday morning. They are trickling through still - though whether some have been lost as well, impossible to say. When there was a similar outage about 3 or 4 years back, it apparently took about 3 days to get back to "normal" (whatever that is with btinternet.....). There are posts on that elsewhere on this forum....

gallivant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Can you shed some information on how you get emails to be sent through to you to more than one webmail server, as you mentioned that you only use BT Yahoo as a backup system?  I can redirect emails but never been able to get it simultaneously synced onto two different webmail servers.

0 Ratings
bannerdown
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

Following the Yahoo outage yesterday, two important emails to me, confirming purchase documentation were not delivered and I had to request them to be resent. I do not know how many other emails may have been lost.

A similar outage happened a few years ago and the whole Email store was lost. This may have been tolerated in the days of PoP3  but with IMAP, when one's whole email system is held in a 'secure' mail providers server, loss of the email store would be pretty devastating.

Will BT confirm what email backup policy either it or Yahoo have in place to restore the email files in the event of a catastrophic failure of its file storage.

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

@bannerdownwrote:

Following the Yahoo outage yesterday, two important emails to me, confirming purchase documentation were not delivered and I had to request them to be resent. I do not know how many other emails may have been lost.

A similar outage happened a few years ago and the whole Email store was lost. This may have been tolerated in the days of PoP3  but with IMAP, when one's whole email system is held in a 'secure' mail providers server, loss of the email store would be pretty devastating.

Will BT confirm what email backup policy either it or Yahoo have in place to restore the email files in the event of a catastrophic failure of its file storage.

David de Lemos

Sky customers are also saying the same thing about lost emails. Their forums are usually pretty quiet, but this has got them going of course.

People should really move away from using ISP based emails and use something else - e.g. Gmail (NOT Yahoo of course). Many of the regulars have been saying this for years.

Also a personal backup is a must - hence client backup essential.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

As you have found  out with the recent Yahoo problems it is folly to only have your important emails only available on the email provider's servers regardless of who that provider is.

You can still back up your email even if you're using your email client set up as an IMAP account and I would recommend that if you are not already doing that, you should. It will depend on which email client/app you are using as to how that is done.