Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfc_andy_p
Beginner
Message 11 of 26

Re: BTYahoo email

Go to solution

Some sensible advice being given in the last few posts in the thread.  For the uninitiated, how might one go about "protecting" oneself?

Personally I have my mail coming in to mailbird on the PC and via Yahoo on mobile.  It does of course come from Yahoo/BT.

Should I be considering ditching BT altogether mail wise and going solely with Gmail? Set myself up differently?

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution

@mfc_andy_pwrote:

Some sensible advice being given in the last few posts in the thread.  For the uninitiated, how might one go about "protecting" oneself?

Personally I have my mail coming in to mailbird on the PC and via Yahoo on mobile.  It does of course come from Yahoo/BT.

Should I be considering ditching BT altogether mail wise and going solely with Gmail? Set myself up differently?

Mailbird has a simple backup (similar to Thunderbird). All that's needed is to copy the Mailbird folder (drive:users\"username"\appdata\local) and look for the mailbird folder. Thunderbird is the same (though I use 7Zip to compress all the data and folders into one).

Naturally it's up to you what email service you want, but Gmail can be used either webmail or via an app or client. It might take a few months to inform your contacts, all website contact data etc for your new email address - but you'll be better off. Not being tied to an ISP is also good if you wish to change supplier.

manintheknow
Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

I agree with the sentiment that we shpu;d have confirmation that either;

(1) All emails in the outage are lost for good.  Confirmation gives us a paper trail should someone say "but I sent you it", or

(2) 'Lost' emails will be eventually forwarded with x days

The silence on this loss of emails is not good enough.  BTW read the comments about not using BT Mail etc but still does not excuse the theft loss of emails during this last outage.  

0 Ratings
JMB
Expert
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

@gallivantwrote:

Can you shed some information on how you get emails to be sent through to you to more than one webmail server, as you mentioned that you only use BT Yahoo as a backup system?  I can redirect emails but never been able to get it simultaneously synced onto two different webmail servers.

If that was directed at me.

I have my own EMail address (and domain) on another ISP and get the majority of my mail through there.  Occasionally mail will be rejected as SPAM so I just resend using my BTINTERNET address through BTINTERNET and it usually gets through.

Every time OUTLOOK picks up my mail, it polls BTINTERNET but I frequently get various errors messages which virtually never happens on my main EMail address.  For that reason I don't use BTINTERNET as my main mail provider.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
gallivant
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution
Thanks JMB. Much appreciated.
0 Ratings
JMB
Expert
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution

Sky customers are also saying the same thing about lost emails. Their forums are usually pretty quiet, but this has got them going of course.

People should really move away from using ISP based emails and use something else - e.g. Gmail (NOT Yahoo of course). Many of the regulars have been saying this for years.

Also a personal backup is a must - hence client backup essential.

I use another provider just for mail and my website, I rarely have any problems and their support staff are good if there is a problem.

It is worth getting your own domain so you can set up your own EMail addresses and use anyone for your mail but keep the same address.

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

manintheknow

First of, your emails were never stolen so why put "theft" into your post! It just makes your post look a bit crass.

Reading other posts it would appear that some emails that were sent during the email outage are now coming through albeit slowly.

That however does not mean that all the emails sent will eventually arrive and I would suspect that it is impossible for Yahoo to say one way or the other if all email sent will eventually arrive as I suspect they would have no way of knowing what emails were sent to their servers or by which email service if the Yahoo servers were down at the time the emails were sent.

I would assume that all the emails are lost... unless they eventually turn up.

It is well document on the Internet when the outage happened so if you were in a position where somebody said "but I sent you it" you would be able to detail the time of the outage and if that coincided with when they sent the email that should back up your assertion that you never received it. 

0 Ratings
bannerdown
Beginner
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

GG30340

You may be starting a very controvertial discussion. I recall many many years ago, when emails were first appearing, that one generally phoned an email recepient to confirm the email you sent had actually arrived (and that they had read it).

These days, one does take it for granted that technology works and an email would get to recepient's inbox or their spam folder.

What you are suggesting is to relieve the ISP of the responsibility of delivering an email if their server fails - should they not have a backup mail routing mechanism such that the actual number of emails that are lost are minimised to just those received during the transition time? or better still, a dual front end to ensure none are lost??

A major mail ISP such as Yahoo should be held accountable to provide a secure end to end email delivery system. We pay BT a lot of money for their broadband and associated services and no doubt BT pay Yahoo a substantial amount for their Email service. It should be fit for purpose.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

I am not suggesting letting  any ISP or more appropriately in this case an email service provider out of their responsibility to provide a working service.

I am saying if the problem affected me I would be taking a pragmatic approach about how to deal with the problem as outlined by the poster.

Perhaps you could suggest how you are going to deal with it.

0 Ratings