Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMB
Expert
Message 21 of 26

Re: BTYahoo email

Go to solution

@IanStev01wrote:

Following the BTYahoo email outage, the service appears to be restored but with evidently many emails missing. Is restore work still ongoing or is it confirmed that many emails are lost, cannot be retrieved?

As I wrote, I do not trust Yahoo / BT Internet as my main EMail handler but if I did then I would be resending all the messages from .that period

----
MB
----
0 Ratings
mfc_andy_p
Beginner
Message 22 of 26

Go to solution

Happy to say the key emails I had been missing appeared in my Inbox this morning so quite relieved at that.

It has been useful however to get the advice on backing up and considering alternatives/parallel accounts for the future.

Thanks!

manintheknow
Contributor
Message 23 of 26

Go to solution

The point is why should it be acceptable that one should have to establish a parallel path for email.  We aren't dealing with a mickey mouse company (I hope) so one would reasonably expect then to be able to provide a sensible service for those who use email.  I've had my btinternet email addresses for over 20 years and I've too many people to pass a new email address to.  

bannerdown
Beginner
Message 24 of 26

Go to solution

GG30340 asked how I would deal with backing up my emails.

I use Thunderbird on my PC platform, Mac Mail on my Mac and IOS Mail on phone, all accessing my BTInternet account. My wife used Microsoft Mail on her PC and IOS Mail to access her BTInternet account.

I also use my own domain's email for anything important relating to family, health, travel, personal correspondence, etc. BT mail is for run of the mill stuff - emails I can afford to loose (probably 95% of my email communications).

I periodically backup my Thunderbird folder that contains all my emails to a normally disconnected network disk (I select the Thunderbird option to make all important folders available off-linesuch that any attachments are downloaded to my PC) This allows me to restore all my emails and their attachments up to the last backup date. However, please be aware that if you restore your emails and then connect to your IMAP mail server again, the synchronisation process will delete everything that is not on the IMAP server.

I also periodically archive my emails to a local folder in Thunderbird itself (which is also backed up when the Thunderbird folder is backed up).

I run a Thunderbird application on my wife's PC (in parallel with her MS Mail). This allows a number of basic functions that MS Mail does not successfully do - such as printing an email or easily moving emails into sub folders.  It also allows me to periodically backup her Thunderbird folder.

Thunderbird backup is a simple process once you understand and can manage where the mailbox files are held. If you are not happy delving into the filesystem then this may well be a problem.

Backing up files, in general, is a very important routine if you use your computer to support your communications, finance , administration and other tasks. I am sure that many people do not have off-line backups of their files and are therefore vulnerable to the loss of their information either due to failures in their own hardware, trusted suppliers services or malware.

While we should expect our suppliers to safeguard out information, we cannot always guarantee this. The formatting of a computer hard disk, for example,  is a common resolution to many computer issues by many high street PC providers!

Hope this is of interest.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 26

Go to solution

Generally email providers do provide a reliable service however as has happened in this instance and in the past problems do arise, not only with Yahoo,  and will no doubt do so again in the future.

Having more than one email address is common place and is easy to set up and if problems do arise you will at least still be able to communicate by email if required.

As regards only using webmail andnot using an email client/app, if you are happy to carry on and only have your emails stored on the email companies servers and be totally reliant on the company keeping them safe, out of the reach of hackers and to be only accessible if you are on line and the companies servers are on line then that of course is your choice. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 26

Go to solution

bannerdown

I never asked how you would deal with backing up your emails!

I asked how you would deal with the situation as presented by poster in message 14

0 Ratings