cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

BTinternet Email used as Alias on Gmail not allowing me to send BTInternet Emails

Go to solution

So as the title says, the issue is more or less that I have linked my BTInternet email address as an alias for my Google Mail account, which allows me to receive email from BTInternet and send email AS my BTInternet address from Gmail. However, it has strangely stopped working.

Alright so here's the background details:

• I have been using this Gmail account for years
  • I have been using BTinternet Email as an alias for it for years
  • I CAN send BT emails via mobile's generic application.
  • I CAN send BT emails via BTinternet's actual email page on desktop.
  • I CAN send GMails on GMail without issue.
  • About a week beforehand I had sent a BT email with 20 BCCs from GMail and eventually received this message:

The response from the remote server was:

421 Too many messages (2.3.5.3) from 209.85.221.41

• A day or two before the issue I had attempted to re-send these, sending 2 at a time instead of 20 at once. Received the same error message.
  • Since the issue has started, new emails sent do NOT send any error message back to me.

I really need to get this working again. Does anyone have any ideas at all about what I can do?

Would contact BTinternet's support team, but they seem to have no email address and instead leaves us with the messaging agent which doesn't seem to be setup for Email issues, asking for a BT phone number and stuff which I don't have last I checked.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: BTinternet Email used as Alias on Gmail not allowing me to send BTInternet Emails

Go to solution

Its possibly a Gmail problem as they are tightening up on security. For instance, from May it will no longer be possible to send from 'less secure apps' such as earlier versions of MS Outlook and 2FA is mandatory.

If you can send and receive via BT webmail, BT won't be interested.

Message 3 of 3

Re: BTinternet Email used as Alias on Gmail not allowing me to send BTInternet Emails

Go to solution

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your BT email account via BT Premium email.

If neither of the above you will now have a BTMail basic account which can only be accessed through a web browser and it can not be forwarded or set up within another mail account where it is in effect being used as an email client.