Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

BTinternet account can't be accessed in Windows Mail app

Go to solution

I'm using the windows mail app, as it is an easy place to be able to access all my email accounts. However my BT Yahoo mail account isn't working. I cannot connect to the inbox, nor send out emails. It was working fine for months, and then suddenly today it has just stopped working. It says the message: 'We couldn't access this account: BTinternet. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device.' I'm accessing the mail app on my desktop and I've gone through all instructions listed at: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/6591. And looked at other advice elsewhere.

My incoming mail server is set to: mail.btinternet.com:993:1

And outgoing mail server is set to: mail.btinternet.com:465:1

I've also tried setting the mail servers to just 'mail.btinternet.com' without the ports and other small differences.

SSL is turned on. I have tried creating the account through the 'other account' automatic method for POP3 and IMAP4 accounts and also the advanced manual method. I have tried both for POP3 and IMAP4 and neither work.

And of course I also have tried through the 'Yahoo!' method on the mail app, which doesn't work either. I would just like to be able to access my email through the mail app, rather than having to use the unhelpful mail.yahoo webpage, which insists on logging me out every day and is generally barely usable.

The only thing I know which has changed recently is on: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/i-can-t-sync-my-yahoo-account-with-mail-for-windows-10-d3b6....

However this page hasn't solved my mail issues either.

Yahoo has this information here which seems related: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27791.html

But I have no way to add two step verification to my BT Yahoo Mail account.

I have also tried using the outlook application and the aforementioned server settings and my btinternet account fails to work on there also. Seems like Yahoo just want to make it very difficult to access your email without using their webpage or their application.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BTinternet account can't be accessed in Windows Mail app

Go to solution

Are you a current bt broadband customer

can you access your email using web mail instead of an app

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

You can not access a BTYahoo email account via the Yahoo portal nor can you use the Yahoo server settings in an email client/app to access a BTYahoo email account.

The correct settings are as per the BT link you posted and the webmail access is as per this link.

BT Email

If your email account via your email client stopped for no apparent reason but was still working via webmail on a web browser there is obviously nothing wrong with your username or password.

It is not unknown for this problem to happen and the best advice is not to make any changes or delete and re-set up the account as that invariably causes more problems than it solves. If you do nothing the problem usually resolves it self in a day or two.

If you have deleted your email account from your email client or changed your password you could try the following.

Make sure you use the correct settings as per the BT link and you are best to set up the email client manually rather than using the email clients automatic set up.

Stop all your email clients from trying to fetch your email. Change your webmail email password even if you have already changed it. Check it is working OK in webmail.

If it works OK wait at least 30 minutes to an hour before trying to set up your email client using the new password. If that works move onto your other devices or email clients one at a time checking that it works before moving onto the next one.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

No I'm not a current bt broadband customer. Yes I can access my mail using the web mail at https://mail.yahoo.com/

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Yes the webmail link I use to login is the one you linked and it still works, which when I'm logged in, goes to https://mail.yahoo.com/

Yes the username and password are fine. I do recall I may have had this problem a while ago, but it seems rather ridiculous that I just have to wait it out.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

You should not be getting directed to Yahoo. Try clearing your browser cache/history and cookies.

If you are not a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email via BT Premium email your email account can and will be deleted without warning. BT are in the process of weeding out non customers email accounts and deleting them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

I mean I don't pay directly for BT Broadband, but my household does use it. So is there some sort of family or group attachment, that means multiple BTinternet accounts can be tied to a broadband service? I've had my BTinternet account for aeons, since I was a small child, so I'm not sure if the longstanding nature of this account has some bearing on it. Also I believe officially my email has an alias as @btopenworld.com. I believe that is what it originally was in the old days maybe? But considering as far as I am aware they've been disabling accounts that should no longer exist for quite a while now and mine is untouched, so then it's surely a valid acc for one reason or another.

As for getting directed to Yahoo, I have changed browsers, devices, cleared caches/history and cookies and I always get directed to Yahoo. So I'm not sure if there's some reason for that, that I've been unclear on. Or if you are simply, no offense, just mistaken somehow.

For clarity, the name of the webpage when I'm on my webmail is: username@btinternet.com - BT Yahoo Mail

And the URL is: https://mail.yahoo.com/d/folders/1

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Unless your email address is directly associated with a BT Broadband account, i.e it appears in the account holder's 'MYBT' list of email addresses it is at risk of deletion. The url you posted is incorrect for BTYahoo and should be the link @gg30340  posted. If you are getting re-directed to Yahoo with that link there is something wrong.

The first thing to do is to associate your email address with an active BTbroadband account before it is deleted. See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44864/~/can-i-move-my-bt-email-address-to-another-acc...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

As I said, the link he posted is the one I use to log in to my webmail. But it is not the webmail page, you seem to all be unable to tell me what the actual URL I should see when I'm logged in is. As I've said multiple times, the URL I posted is the one I'm redirected to, and is the one I've been redirected to for a very long time. I'll have to check whether my account is in this MYBT list of email addresses. I'll post some excerpts of emails I've received from BT which might help you guys work out what's going on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

'

Hello,

We're changing the terms and conditions for accessing the email that comes with your BT Broadband - BT Yahoo! Mail.

From 17 June this year, you'll need to log in to your email account at least once every 150 days. If you don't, we'll presume you don't use your email account anymore and we'll close it.

Read our new terms and conditions.

How to keep your BT email

Make sure you use your email at least once every 150 days by logging on at bt.yahoo.com or using your computer email software (like Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird). If you don't, we'll close the account and delete everything that goes with it - including your emails, contacts, calendar and notes.

If you haven't used an account since 18 Jan or if you're not sure when you last logged in, just log in before 17 June and at least once every 150 days after.

If we do close your account, you can still use the email address to log in to BT Wi-fi or other BT services. You just won't be able to use it for email.

If you don't want to keep your BT email

That's fine. Just don't use it anymore. Then, from 17 June, we'll close any accounts that haven't been used for 150 days.

Make it easier for us to get in touch with you

The next time you log in to bt.com, make sure the email address you used for My BT is one you check regularly. If it isn't, change it to one you do.'

This email was from 2013

0 Ratings