cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeMask
Message 1 of 24

@BTinternet.com email accounts are blocking my emails

All of our customers that have email addresses ending in @btinternet.com and @btconnect.com are having our emails blocked. This has been going on for about 4 months now and we have tried everything that we can think of to stop this. The automatic "Mail Delivery System" email that we get sent in response to our emails contains the following message:

SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk (65.20.0.49) reason: 554 Message rejected on 2017/12/03 17:50:29 GMT, policy (3.2.1.1) – Your  message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM please read www.bt.com/bulksender

I've done everything suggested on the BT FAQ. I've sent numerous emails to the BT postmaster email address but they've all been ignored. Can someone please advise me on how to stop these blocks. 

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: @BTinternet.com email accounts are blocking my emails

Have you ensured your sending domains have a Sender Policy Framework (SPF) record for the IP address you'll be sending from? That's the usual reason for this happening.

BT Email Expert
BT Email Expert
Message 3 of 24

Sounds like your email might be using terms commonly used by spammers so have a look at your subject and content. I

f you have already tried this then work through the advice at www.bt.com/bulksender this covers most areas that are likely to result in a false positive detection of spam, if all else fails that article has an email address you can contact for a more technical discussion.

Simon.

Email expertSimon
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Email queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, primarily on BT email queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 24

@Simon-D wrote:

Sounds like your email might be using terms commonly used by spammers so have a look at your subject and content. I

f you have already tried this then work through the advice at www.bt.com/bulksender this covers most areas that are likely to result in a false positive detection of spam, if all else fails that article has an email address you can contact for a more technical discussion.

Simon.

Hi.

So far, you have failed to explain why this only occurs with people sending to btinternet addresses. This needs to be addressed, NOT by the user, but by your team and the mail system.

Surely you've seen the many reports here about this issue ONLY affecting some people sending to btinternet addresses, not to mention that probable many that don't post to the forums, maybe ring the helpdesk, contact their own mail systems - causing costs, time etc, and also probably a lot of companies that ignore the bounce reports and hence end users with BTinternet addresses fail to get their communications.

As I keep saying, which you keep ignoring, do you really expect the 10s of 1000s of possible businesses and other legitimate mail to jump through hoops that is caused by YOUR systems?

In addition, your comment about content/subject commonly used by spammers - hmmmm.

Do they have to keep trying topics, alter wording etc and keep sending the emails until the don't fail to bounce? Why don't other recipients have the same issue?

MikeMask
Message 5 of 24

@Simon-D - I can assure that its nothing to do with the subject or email content as we've tested it with the email content stripped down to just a couple of words and it still bounces. We've also worked through all the advice at www.bt.com/bulksender. We have also sent a number of emails to the postmaster@btinternet.com account but we've had no replies. What do you suggest next?

0 Ratings
MikeMask
Message 6 of 24

@XRaySpeX - Yes, tried all that. Even sent test emails to a couple of websites where you can test the "spamminess" of your emails and they come up clean

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 24

@MikeMask wrote:

@Simon-D - I can assure that its nothing to do with the subject or email content as we've tested it with the email content stripped down to just a couple of words and it still bounces. We've also worked through all the advice at www.bt.com/bulksender. We have also sent a number of emails to the postmaster@btinternet.com account but we've had no replies. What do you suggest next?

What seems to happen is that the mail team investigates this issue for one user at a time, rather than do it properly. Then despite what the bulksender site says, it appears that they do whitelist specific senders, unless they do something similar.

Unfortunately they never ever respond with the solution, even for the one who posted the initial fault report.

This is the whole issue, repeat faults in this forum keep occurring and take ages to clear because no one is told the outcome or how a fault is cleared. This helps nobody at all.

0 Ratings
Tonyclayton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

I have been happening to me for some time. Attempts to contact the email listed on their bulkmailing page at postmaster@btinternet.com fail  because it too is a btinternet.com address. I am really frustrated by this as several people I need to contact have these addresses.

OpenReach are about to go live with fibre here, but I dare not change ISP to btinternet.com as I fear I will become unreachable by others who need to contact me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

Why do you think that you need to have an @btinternet.com email address if you change to BT as an ISP?

0 Ratings
Tonyclayton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Because friends with BTinternet.com addresses feel that they cannot change. As my email address is hosted as part of my web hosting package with justhost.com would not the problem remain the same?

My main complaint is trying to get sense out of anyone at BT, who talk about setting up my email clients correctly. If they were not correctly set up they would not work for any email recipient. It is ONLY btinternet.com addresses that are rejected and that includes the postmaster@btinternet.com address they ask you to use. I want to TALK to someone who can help.  The Chatlines are very slow and apparently irrelevant, and about 10% of characters I type do not appear on the screen, so I am continually having to go back and correct it.

Sorry about the shouting, but this is all SO frustrating. You do not find Royal Mail checking your post and refusing to deliver posts they do not like. It is one thing to send spam to a spam folder. It is quite wrong to prevent any item arriving at the recipient's computer at all

0 Ratings