Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BTinternet email problem

Go to solution

i've used the same email on outlook and iphone for years, not changed anything.

4 days ago it stopped sending emails

then stopped working totally

Then my account was blocked so I have reset my password 3 times.

Website said my BT email is unavailable at the moment.

Outlook said IMAP is not responding.

iPhone says my username and/or password is not correct.

called BT - 6 times - lots of 45 min waits and hang ups but they corrected the website so i can now get in but still no access on iphone/ipad.

Apple were really helpful and we went through a lot of options - even trying to help with BT but it appears to be a BT issue.

BT customer service told me no-one at BT would be able to help!

Now on hold again since speaking to Apple - been on hold 21 mins

Anyone had the same issue?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BTinternet email problem

Go to solution

I use thunderbird and POP and have had text messages from BT saying my account has been blocked, suspected compromised. I have reset my password and all appears well for a day or so then repeat. Since reseting yesterday all appears well until today I cannot send emails. My email client, thunderbird, just hangs with "Connected to smtp.btinternet.com".

So now I cannot send emails!

Come on BT what's the problem, can't you keep your emails servers up and running?

Ah I have fixed it, the account was blocked and I did not receive text messages this time so did not realise.

I have logged on to bt email using my browser and reset my password. Then changed my password to match in thuinderbird. All apprears well again, Now just my laptop, phone and Mac to change the password to match, like I've got all day to keep doing this!

Come on BT stop blocking email accounts when there is no problem!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

the same has happened to me too, happened on Saturday I think, unable to access my emails for both my and my wife's account. I've rung BT 4 times and they haven't helped one-bit they've just passed me on to others who have no clue what they are talking about. I've got online orders and bookings that I need to access and I can't because of this! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

One BT guy told me there was no point in me calling again as no one in BT could help me now my webmail was up and running. I’ve pushed it and it’s now been escalated, due a call tomorrow. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

could one of the moderators help?  Anothe day on the phone to the Indian Premium Mail team and no further forward.  From googling and this forum i think the problem is my BTID.  I used to have BT phone and broadband now i just have email so pay £5 a month.

I can't access my manage email addresses - i've had the same email address for 20 years and always used it in the same way so it must be something BT have changed on my account but they are refusing to believe they can help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

I've fixed it!  Lots of googling.....  BT must have done something with BTIDs/email passwords.

It appears that if you sign into BTID using email address you want to look at the emails of, you can enter straight through without entering password but in fact the passwords are different.

How to correct:
Change BTID to a different email address than the one you are having issues with
Then sign into BTID and click on manage email addresses and change email password there.
Update password in outlook/iPhone etc....

I then went back in and changed BTID back to my normal email address and made sure BTID password and email password were the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Yep, same thing. Got a text message from BT saying my password had been changed - which it hadnt. reset password through BT website. Can now access emails only by logging onto the website. IMAP through iMac or iphone not working for last 5 days. Cant even log in through yahoo on web. Only through BT. Crazy and very annoying. Nothing on BT website to admit any issues so wasted hours trying to delete and re-create mail accounts on phone and imac etc. Loads of time on phone to BT with no answers and IT illetirate customer service people who just follow the script.

Shocking customer service not to inform customers of the issues.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Have you solved your issue ? I have the exact thing been trying hours to sort it

0 Ratings