Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Castweb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 166

BTinternet rejecting all our emails

Go to solution

I am the technical contact for Castweb. We distribute email bulletins of work and casting opportunities for actors to subscribers who have paid for the service. Our email is not spam.

Among our actor and agent subscribers are a dozen BTinternet mail users who, since 16 October, are unable to receive our bulletins because they are now being falsely identified as spam by BT. Previous to that date, there was no problem, for many years.

These BT customers are now unable to receive what they have paid us to send. Moreover it appears the missing messages are not placed into any spam folder, they are bounced to us without any notification to the recipient.

We can't now send a single email to any BTinternet address.

Our emails are returned:

Reporting-MTA: dns; doris.castweb.co.uk
Remote-MTA: dns; btinternet.com
Final-Recipient: rfc822;[redacted]@btinternet.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;[redacted]@btinternet.com
Action: failed
Status: 5.2.2 (IP REPUTATION BAD  (please check for IP address listing on reputation services))

This is false! Our mailserver IP 217.146.109.224 (doris.castweb.co.uk)  is NOT blacklisted by any RBL that I can find. EG http://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check comes up clean on all 80 services it knows about. Our IP appears to be blacklisted by BTinternet alone. Mail delivers fine to all other networks including customers who use Yahoo addresses.

We have DNS reverse lookup and SPF policies in place that should make it crystal clear that this is legitimate email.

Can someone please tell me who at BT I need to contact to resolve this issue on behalf of our and their customers? Alternatively, what can our BTinternet customers do to ensure they receive the information they have paid us for, and BTinternet to receive?

0 Ratings
165 REPLIES 165
Oliver341
Expert
Message 14 of 166

Re: BTinternet rejecting all our emails

Go to solution

You could try here: https://support.criticalpath.net/contact-us.html

Let us know how you get on.

Oliver.
Castweb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 166

Go to solution

Thank you. So Critical Path are admin for BTinternet spam filters? I had no idea, but I suppose that might explain why we have no problem with Yahoo email addresses.

I have emailed the Critical Path contact address. I'll copy back any useful response here.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 16 of 166

Go to solution

@Castweb wrote:

Thank you. So Critical Path are admin for BTinternet spam filters?

Critical Path handle BT Mail, yeah. However their customer is BT and not the end users, so technically they aren't obliged to reply, but you might be lucky.

Oliver.
Castweb
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 166

Go to solution

CP referred me to http://www.commtouch.com/check-ip-reputation/  as a block list they use, where the IP has turned out to be blocked, without any explanation. I have applied to have this 'reclassified'. We shall see.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 18 of 166

Go to solution

Good luck. It's somewhat positive that CP are willing to talk to us at least.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
nik-halton
Contributor
Message 19 of 166

Go to solution

How long has CP been handling BTinternet Emails?

For about the last week, I've found a lot of emails are not being received.

Various subscriptions, like the Guardian daily news, as well as order receipts from shops like Marks and Spencer, Next and BHS have all failed to appear over the past 10 days or so. Some friends have told me their Emails are getting bounced.

Other than Guardian emails never getting through and emails from friends who use sky.com being very erratic, I've not spotted any particular patterns.

Might CP's block lists be the issue? If so, how do I fix this?

I can't accept an Email provider that appears to be implementing blocks as broad as this, if that is the issue.

(All my emails come via a domain name "name@mydomain.com" and the mail forwarding is handled by Fasthosts. I've since changed the forwarding to point to my gmail account and everything is now getting through to this fine, so I have to conclude it's some issue with BT emails)

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 20 of 166

Go to solution
0 Ratings
macavity77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 166

Go to solution

I think that this could be a large problem. I cannot send emails to my personal btinternet address from my work address. I hasten to add that my employer could not be mistaken for a spammer as I work for a major UK exam board!

Is there any way to bring this to the notice of BT as soemthing needs to be done?

I first noticed that my Amazon emails had disappeared which is not really a problem but I believe that my son may have missed being invited for a job interview because of this. 😞

0 Ratings
nik-halton
Contributor
Message 24 of 166

Go to solution

Oliver - Seems quite likely they are related although some individuals who had tried to email me specifically said their emails are getting "bounced back" rather than just disappearing into a black hole.

Either way around, it seems that Critical Path are being far more invasive with their handling of email than I am comfortable with.

Have BT acknowledged the issue and is anything being done to place recipients back in control of their Email?

Edit - macavity - seems we're not alone! Agree with your points.

It's relatively easy to know when a friend's email doesn't get through because they're likely to have other ways to contact you and be bothered to take the time needed. That's not always the case, especially with corporate stuff.

0 Ratings