cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dk_ay
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BTmail authentication

Hi there,  I'm wondering if anyone can help with this.  My BTID for primary a/c to manage "MyBT" is the same as my primary email address.  I can access my "MyBT" a/c but can't access the email (get a message password is incorrect).  There is no option to change my password, only to select "forgot password", which then asks me for security info such as: DOB, postcode and security question.  I answer these correctly but the portal advises that they are incorrect.  Called BT who advised that there is an email outage on the portal so called back a further twice over the next 24hrs to hear the same.  It looks like BT Advisors just read what the previous advisor say and don't take it further.  I decided to test the email outage in the portal by creating a new email address and suprise suprise I could login.  Utter joke!  I've basically got the feeling that BT have migrated to a new platform without migrating the primary email over properly.  Any advice would be welcome. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BTmail authentication

@dk_aywrote:

Hi there,  I'm wondering if anyone can help with this.  My BTID for primary a/c to manage "MyBT" is the same as my primary email address.  I can access my "MyBT" a/c but can't access the email (get a message password is incorrect).  There is no option to change my password, only to select "forgot password", which then asks me for security info such as: DOB, postcode and security question.  I answer these correctly but the portal advises that they are incorrect.  Called BT who advised that there is an email outage on the portal so called back a further twice over the next 24hrs to hear the same.  It looks like BT Advisors just read what the previous advisor say and don't take it further.  I decided to test the email outage in the portal by creating a new email address and suprise suprise I could login.  Utter joke!  I've basically got the feeling that BT have migrated to a new platform without migrating the primary email over properly.  Any advice would be welcome. 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

What happens when yoy try to login via the direct linkj :-

https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

There isn't a mail portal outage, and as far as I know there hasn't been. If there was, there would usually be a lot of reports.

It could be an account access issue, but if the security info is incorrect as well, then this could be a couple of reasons - one sinister. The latter being the account has been deleted (or worse, hacked and the details changed).

How often have you been checking the email address?

Do you only use webmail via MyBT? If you only checked via webmail, then a backup routine of using a mail client program on smart device or laptop should always be used. Many people have lost their emails by not having a personal backup.

0 Ratings
dk_ay
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for getting back to me. Basically I was using a mail client quite happely when HDD failed so I had to rebuild os on another HDD. I became stuck when I tried to add the a/c in Mail within Win10 as I wasn't sure what the p/w was.  That's when I encountered issues trying to access mail via the bt portal.

When I use the link and enter in my btid (which is the same as my email address) and password I can see all the mailboxes.  When I click on login to the right of the mailbox and enter the same details I get incorrect password.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

@dk_aywrote:

Thanks for getting back to me. Basically I was using a mail client quite happely when HDD failed so I had to rebuild os on another HDD. I became stuck when I tried to add the a/c in Mail within Win10 as I wasn't sure what the p/w was.  That's when I encountered issues trying to access mail via the bt portal.

When I use the link and enter in my btid (which is the same as my email address) and password I can see all the mailboxes.  When I click on login to the right of the mailbox and enter the same details I get incorrect password.

This is where I believe BT have effectively messed up, though for most people it's fine. I don't agree with the portal login being the same as your "primary" email address - mine certainly isn't. The link in my case requires an email address and takes me to the email section.

Can you try this :-

https://www.bt.com/btmail/emailmanagement?view=email

it might take you to the same page you had before - but for me there are Change Password links

You didn't say how long it's been since you last checked the email address.

0 Ratings
dk_ay
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I can't quite remember as I use other email addresses.  When I login using the link, under the profile section in the portal I have this notice:

These are the details you use to login to your My BT account online. Your BT ID is also the contact email we will use to tell you your bill is ready. Then it precedes to tell me the username (which is also my email address).

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

@dk_aywrote:

I can't quite remember as I use other email addresses.  When I login using the link, under the profile section in the portal I have this notice:

These are the details you use to login to your My BT account online. Your BT ID is also the contact email we will use to tell you your bill is ready. Then it precedes to tell me the username (which is also my email address).

If it's a BTYahoo account, try :-

https://mail.yahoo.com

If you haven't logged into the email address for 90 days, then a further 60 days to re-instate it - i.e. 150 days, the address is probably deleted.

DanielS
Message 7 of 8

Hi @dk_ay,

If you still can't get in following @Andy_N's guidance, please let me know so we can look into it for you.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
dk_ay
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Hi again, still no joy getting into the email even using the suggested link. Could you look into this further for me Danny?
0 Ratings