Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Bitcoin Sextortion Blackmail Email BT

Hi,

I've been using BT Mail for the last 20 years, but BT formed a partnership with Yahoo and that's when all my email and nightmares started. Then about 2 years ago I was advised that my email changing back to BT but today my email client still says BT Yahoo but my email address changed from @btinternet to @btopenworld which it was at the very outset.

There's been a number of data breaches with Yahoo and I thought when BT stepped back into the ring this would chnage but now I'm getting loads of these Bitcoin Blackmail Emails that funnily enough seem to know my password albeit from about 6 years ago. Needless to say I've had enough of the profanity used and I'm not a fan of the latest email client update and therefore I've been reading about people wanting to either delete all the contacts within BT Yahoo Mail (whichever it is) and delete the account and close it down.

What concerns me is all that I read says it's not possible to delete all the contacts and you need special support to delete the email account. Please note I'm not saying the contacts have been "harvested" but safe to know these days with numerous scams going on, I for one would like to be in control of my personal data etc and be able to delete all my contacts together with the account and associated passwords if required?

Here's hoping!

Thanks,

Pip

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bitcoin Sextortion Blackmail Email BT

The email address btinternet.com and btopenworld.com are one and the same. They are interchangeable.

There was a Yahoo data breach in 2014 and your email address & password were probably stolen then, hence the spammers apparently knowing your "old" password. 

You can check if your email address has been compromised, not just in the Yahoo hack, by using this link.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

If you want to delete your contacts you log onto your email account and delete them from your list of contacts.

See this link about deleting an email account.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/how-do-i-close-or-delete-an-email-account-

For information, BT re-started their email migration and are in the process of migrating all BTYahoo email accounts away from Yahoo and placing them on the new BTMail system. It is an ongoing process and may take a while but your BTYahoo email accounts will be migrated.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/We-re-updating-BT-Email/td-p/2005956

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

If your contacts were harvested, deleting them will have absolutely no effect whatsoever.

If somebody came into your house and photocopied your paper address book, subsequently burning the book would be futile.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Many thanks for your response and solutions, I'll try these and post the outcome. I understand the btinternet and btopenworld are one of the same but I can no longer login into my email using the btinternet address for some reason.

Thanks again for your help!

Pip

0 Ratings