cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kodak
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Blocked Email Security Alert For DELETED Email Address

I have just received an email from BT with the subject header of "We've blocked your email address" that states that they've secured my email address because "someone might have got into your email account without your permission and could use it to send spam or get personal information like your bank details."

While this is serious in itself, I've checked the censored email address that was given and it appears to be one that was inactive and deleted a very long time ago.

I have logged into my BT account to check the status of active email addresses and I'm not even finding the mentioned email address that is claimed to be compromised in my account, not even in the deleted section.

Why is an email address that has not been used for a very long time and was deleted long ago suddenly giving alerts regarding unauthorised access???
Do you not really "delete" email addresses?
Have you "recycled" the email address that used to belong to my account and given it to somebody else, prompting this security alert and potentially compromising user privacy and security?

I'm pretty concerned at what seems to have happened here and think that I need to have this investigated.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
JohnC2
Message 2 of 6

Re: Blocked Email Security Alert For DELETED Email Address

Hi @Kodak sorry that you have received this alert for an email address you thought was deleted long ago. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we'll be happy to investigate this matter further for you.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Kodak
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I've replied to the Private Message with the requested info.
Thanks for the really fast attention on this.
0 Ratings
Bluemoon1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

I have also today recieved the same email as the above ,  solved it.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

I suspect it is a phishing email hoping you will click on links and enter your password so that the scammer can get into your account.

As regards the OP's deleted email account, the scammer will have no idea that it has been deleted and is no longer being used. Assuming it was a BTYahoo email address they most likely have got the email address from the Yahoo hack in 2014.

You should check the emails headers to see where it originated from.

0 Ratings
Kodak
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Apologies for the delay. I never recieved notifications of replies after the first one and I was expecting a follow up DM.

I have examined the email carefully and there does not appear to be any real indicator of this being a scam unless I am missing something extremely subtle.

Here is the contents of the email that I received:Annotation 2020-05-12 044056.png

This email was sent to my primary email address that I use for my BT account. The email address that it references was a Sub-email address on the account. I do not understand how a scammer would be able to get information about any sub-email addresses for my account and then know to send an email to my primary BT account email address that owned it.

The email above had my name correct and the sub-email address referenced that has been blocked is one that used to be on my account (before I deleted it) and had every other letter censored with an asterix.

According to the email header the sender is btcomms@info.bt.com with a return path of kcimlive2@bt.com.
I have inspected every link in the email and each one points directly to www.bt.com or https://bt.custhelp.com

0 Ratings