cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arlbyrne
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Blocked Email

For the past week or so my emails to friends with a BTonline account have been rejected by the system, with various reasons given for the rejection.  My attempt to advise the Postmaster as suggested by the help system was also blocked by the system.   How in hell can one overcome this problem?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
arlbyrne
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Blocked emails

For the past week or so my emails to friends with BT Online email accounts have been blocked by the system and returned with various reasons for the system rejection.  My attempt to email Postmaster as advised by the help system was also returned by the system.  What the hell does one do to fix this problem.  My account as sender is with t-online.de.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Re: Blocked emails

@arlbyrnewrote:

For the past week or so my emails to friends with BT Online email accounts have been blocked by the system and returned with various reasons for the system rejection.  My attempt to email Postmaster as advised by the help system was also returned by the system.  What the hell does one do to fix this problem.  My account as sender is with t-online.de.

Hi, Whats the error being returned? Postmaster (postmaster@btinternet.com) is always a special email address so its unlikely to bounce intentionally unless you got the address wrong or the entire service was down.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Re: Blocked Email

Is this happening to more than one email address?

Don't give the full email address but can you post the suffix that you are sending to. Is it @btinternet.com or @btopenworld.com or something else and have you previously been able to send to the email address?

0 Ratings
arlbyrne
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Re: Blocked emails

I also hoped that the postmaster address would be freely accessible for registering problems, but the message bounced with the following explanation:

<postmaster@btinternet.com>: delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection

with mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[65.20.0.49] while sending RCPT TO

Grateful for any ideas or fix you can suggest

0 Ratings
arlbyrne
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Problem first occured with message sent on 18/11/2018 to X@btinternet.com, an address that I have contacted successfully on many previous occasions and generated the following system response:

>: delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection

A repeat attempt to send same message on 21/11/2018 produced the following system response:

>: host mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk[65.20.0.49] said:

421 Too many messages (1.5.6.3) on 2018/11/23 17:02:33 GMT from

un-validated IP address: 194.25.134.85. Please add a SPF record for the

domain t-online.de to your DNS or ask your Broadband Provider / Domain

Registrar to do this, we will be unable to deliver email until this is done

due to the volume of email being sent from this IP address. Guide for bulk

senders www.bt.com/bulksender (in reply to MAIL FROM command

My subsequent attempt to refer the issue to postmaster produced only the response:

<postmaster@btinternet.com>: delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Ok, I know what one of the error messages definitely is which is too many messages. It’s to do with your sending email provider not having a SPF record. SPF is an industry standard which allows the receiver to verify who you say you really are. Without it the receiver in this case BT, places rate limiting to safeguard their customers (me and others with emails with BT)

All good senders have a SPF record as a minimum these days so you will have to contact your provider and inform them of this. BT are unlikely to make an exception.

Your workaround in the short term is to use another email service to send to BT or get your provider to act.
0 Ratings
arlbyrne
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Understood, but easier said than done. My Email provider (t-online.de) has indicated that the problem is recognised and that there is ongoing communication with BT, but no ability to confirm when the problem will be resolved. Looking at the online information it would seem that the best solution is perhaps to persuade my UK friends and family to switch from BT to more reliable providers!
0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

BT’s email service may have its issues but in this instance they have done everything correctly and have acted in their customers interests.

Unfortunately it is your provider who is lacking behind significantly in the technical space if they can’t get a SPF record in.
0 Ratings