cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 101

Blocking Spam domains not working

There's been a resurgence of spam recently & I have two issues.

Firstly, up to half of these spam emails are ending up in my inbox, despite their being obvious & repetitive spam.

Secondly, blocking the domain they originate from plain doesn't work & blocking individual email addresses is pointless, as they're constantly generating new, or spoofed ones.

It doesn't matter what I block, as these still get through. Examples of those blocked multiple times: mail@s.couponandgo.com mail@s.clicplan.com mail@s.oferting.net 

What can be done to block this dross?

100 REPLIES 100
Message 2 of 101

Re: Blocking Spam domains not working

@Oddbodkinwrote:

It doesn't matter what I block, as these still get through. Examples of those blocked multiple times: mail@s.couponandgo.com mail@s.clicplan.com mail@s.oferting.net 

Since they all appear to be mail@, have you tried blocking mail@* as most sensible emails would not be generated using "mail" as the sender.

I've done a quick check of my 4 email accounts and not one has arrived from mail@ wherever.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 101

@Carlusha 

Which system are you using to block emails. I can’t find any which will accept wildcards....*

Might save a lot of work here, although have had partial success in using other methods.

Message 4 of 101

@Ribblelancswrote:

@Carlusha 

Which system are you using to block emails. I can’t find any which will accept wildcards....*

Might save a lot of work here, although have had partial success in using other methods.

Oooops! You're right. As far as I can see, this cannot be done on BT Webmail, only on various client email applications.  Once set-up correctly, incoming emails are removed so most of the time I never see them.

It would be nice if the BT email system allowed the use of wildcards anywhere in a rule but, as we are reminded often, the application is not meant to be a full-blown email system. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 101

@Carlusha @Oddbodkin ,

No problem. Another spam mail came through this afternoon, from a different selling organisation.

So will try to block. I read somewhere that the Bt webmail can only block 500 spammers when entered manually , so at say 4 per day it’ll soon be filled. Suppose you can use the gentleman’s method of simply reporting spam and wait.

I can block from within MS Outlook using Norton 360, anti spam. But it seems pointless. 

It’s only nuisance spam, but if phishing is suspected you can do this from webmail.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 101

Apparently you can block up to 6,000 on the block list.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 101

I'm glad it's not just me who has noticed this recently; I've had the same; clicplan and oferting being noticeable examples.  . If it's any help, I've found that they seem to gradually dry up after marking them as blocked senders although it does take some time. 

Message 8 of 101

Yes: there’s an “Etsy” which proving to be troublesome...it can be  blocked  eventually.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 101

You can stop spam by creating a rule which moves anything that is not specifically addressed to you, into a spam folder.

Spam emails will nearly always have your email address in the BCC field, not in the "TO" field. You have to make an exception rule first, for any mailing lists that you subscribe to, otherwise those posts will go to spam.

Trying to block spam using block lists, is doomed to failure, just like trying to block unwanted phone calls. Stopping phone calls has to be done by creating a "whitelist" of numbers that you want to get calls from.

You can apply the same method to email, by ensuring only emails from specific senders are allowed, all the rest go into a spam folder for checking to make sure you have not missed anything important.

Spam filtering is much easier if you use an email client like Thunderbird, instead of webmail.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 101

@Ribblelancs 

Tried setting a rule earlier to send anything to spam where the sender contains mail@ but zero success.

BT needs to get its act together, as I'm now up to more than 30 of these spam emails getting through every day.

Whatever spam identifying algorithm they're applying is plainly no use, as message after message comes from the same sources I've marked as spam & blocked on multiple occasions.